Discuss Where to bond? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The regs state that bonding should be made within 600mm of the services entry to the building, or after the meter. So for water, does this mean under the floor boards (ie generally under the front door) or where it appears above the floor boards?

Also just read a previous post where someone had commented that you shouldn't bond to an old lead pipe. Please can someone confirm if this is correct as I can't find it in the regs.

Thanks

The regs state that bonding should be made within 600mm of the services entry to the building, or after the meter. So for water, does this mean under the floor boards (ie generally under the front door) or where it appears above the floor boards?

Also just read a previous post where someone had commented that you shouldn't bond to an old lead pipe. Please can someone confirm if this is correct as I can't find it in the regs.

Thanks

The regs state that the main bonding conductor shall be connected as near as practicable to the point of entry to the service and preferably within 600mm from the point of entry and before any branched pipework.

Reg 544.1.2 p 135

Do not bond onto a lead pipe make the connection where it changes to copper and note on the cert.

i recently bonded to gas 3-4 meters from meter and AFTER a branch off as it was impossible to get a connection!! plus customer whinged at the front of his house been clad in cable/conduit! Elecsa were ok with it!

600mm from the meter / stop cock consumers side in property.... above the flooring would be more sensible as it can be INSPECTED at later date!

Maybe best to ask yourself this question and decide on the best safety procedure

Where would a person be more likely to touch a pipe carrying a harmful introduced potential ?

Under the floorboard or where its exposed ?

It depends on where the stopcock is. As before the stopcock is the suppliers side and after the stopcock is the consumers side. Main equipotential bonding has to be made on the consumers side so ideally 600mm from stopcock.

Thanks, that has cleared it up. I had it wrong as most water meters are outside so I thought once it was passed the meter it was the consumers side and therefore needed to be bonded before the stopcock.

you are correct on that actually!! any thing after meter and within the boundary of the property is customer responsibility!!! but in elec eyes after the stop cock in property is consumer side!!

Never thought about water meters as we don't have them just a pipe in to a stopcock.

Good post.... got similar situation tommorrow...

No bond on gas, where it comes into building under floor boards in lounge customer dosent want it ripped up, so am putting it about 5m away where it comes up under the stairs and can also be inspected here easily at a later date :)

No bonding on lead pipe,could get very wet overtightening clamp on that,i had a right job friday water main in bathroom at rear,met at front,upstairs,carpets,boards,nearly all day,to the regs they say where reasonably practicable,but they say that and also put within 600mm of consumers side,so a bit of a contradiction in terms,if its a gimp to get to we can bond it at the nearest accessable point and note it down as a limitation of access.i notice a lot of water meters that have 10mm bond across them,but not back to met,so was this how the 15th ed was done,im thinking anything past 1991 had to have water/gas.

Reply to Where to bond? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net