Discuss Where to buy? Flat fire cable! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damon

In a domestic new build estate I worked a while back we had flat Prysmian fire cable just like grey 2.5mm t&e but red,

Ive tried unsucessfully to locate any suppliers for this and everyone only has round 2core & earth and 3 core & earth...

I want flat type, I know its possible ive seen it lol

Anyone?

In a domestic new build estate I worked a while back we had flat Prysmian fire cable just like grey 2.5mm t&e but red,

Ive tried unsucessfully to locate any suppliers for this and everyone only has round 2core & earth and 3 core & earth...

I want flat type, I know its possible ive seen it lol

Anyone?

Not any more fella. I haven't seen flat red sheathed since 2002 or so, when the regs were updated to make fire resistant cable mandatory. The flat stuff was all basically twin and Earth anyway - it was only called fire cable because it was sheathed red.

Fire cable is pretty well all round these days, due to the construction used to make it fire resistant.

could try putting some FP200 through a mangle

could try putting some FP200 through a mangle

lol like it ,, the flat pyrisman cable was probably just flat 3 core but in red , this is used in domestic new builds for smoke alarms to identify them from the other cables its available from all good wholesalers but may be another make , like accordfire said flat fire rated not seen in years

Thanks guys, Just while your here,

Do i have these on their own 10 amp mcb or are they fine on the rcd protected circuit side of the consumer unit?

And finally any recomendations on mains powered smoke alarms ideally with interconnectivity with Carbon Monoxide alarm too

i would put smoke/CO alarms on a frequently used lighting circuit. then it's easy for the end user to see if they lose the supply ( coz. the lights don't work)

He could, but it would......what's that technical word?..........oh yeah - render it less than operable.
think the tecnical term you seek is goosed, or another word beginning with F.

i would put smoke/CO alarms on a frequently used lighting circuit. then it's easy for the end user to see if they lose the supply ( coz. the lights don't work)

They should beep, and the mains power LED should also flash if they lose power.

Best off on their own 6A MCB, in which case they have a greater possibility of maintaining power (particularly in fire resisting cable), in the event of mains failure, or if there is a fault on the lighting circuit.

And finally any recomendations on mains powered smoke alarms ideally with interconnectivity with Carbon Monoxide alarm too

Aico are the only ones I stick love the bases no mucking around with stupid plugs ahhhh hate the screwfix cheapy ones a customer so kindly produced on a job last week.

They should beep, and the mains power LED should also flash if they lose power.

Best off on their own 6A MCB, in which case they have a greater possibility of maintaining power (particularly in fire resisting cable), in the event of mains failure, or if there is a fault on the lighting circuit.
but i've never seen domestic smoke alarms using fire resistant cable, always T/E and 3core/E. why, oh why are the actual detectors ( speaking of domestic smokes) designed for 1.0mm flexor 1.0mm T/E? same applies to a lot of fixtures. i fitted a PIR to switch 2 hall lights using 3 core/E. then impossible to get the unit in the housing as the cable was too big for the ridiculous small gap

Last edited:
but i've never seen domestic smoke alarms using fire resistant cable, always T/E and 3core/E. why, oh why are the actual detectors ( speaking of domestic smokes) designed for 1.0mm flex? same applies to a lot of fixtures. i fitted a PIR to switch 2 hall lights using 3 core/E. then impossible to get the unit in the housing as the cable was too big for the ridiculous small gap

Thats why I use Aico you can get 2 1.5, 3 cores into the base terminals then just slide the head on. the terminals are massive.

i'll look at them. my supplier does the acel gear. might be as good.

Smoke detectors should be on their own MCB/RCBO indipendant of any other RCD's IE dual hi integrety RCD board they should be on the unprotected side

Smoke detectors should be on their own MCB/RCBO indipendant of any other RCD's IE dual hi integrety RCD board they should be on the unprotected side
yes, it makes sense to put them on a non-RCD MCB, as usually there is no cable buried in walls, blah, blah, but frequently, they have to be fitted to an existing board whnich is not high integrity, that is why, in that case , i would put them on a frequently used lighting circuit

but i've never seen domestic smoke alarms using fire resistant cable, always T/E and 3core/E. why, oh why are the actual detectors ( speaking of domestic smokes) designed for 1.0mm flexor 1.0mm T/E? same applies to a lot of fixtures. i fitted a PIR to switch 2 hall lights using 3 core/E. then impossible to get the unit in the housing as the cable was too big for the ridiculous small gap

Oh dear - another Part B gripe.....you're right of course, domestic smokes, as in those fitted in single dwelling houses, are not usually installed in fire resisting cable. They should be, however.

I'd never install a smoke using flex either.

Anything beyond an HMO will, or certainly ought to have fire resistant cable, though.

Just another failure on behalf of our esteemed legislators.

Aico smokes have a wide cable aperture - and terminals capable of taking 2 2.5mm CSA wires too. Most PIR switches, however, seem to be designed only to take a single 1mm T&E - I agree.

/gripe off.

Oh dear - another Part B gripe.....you're right of course, domestic smokes, as in those fitted in single dwelling houses, are not usually installed in fire resisting cable. They should be, however.

I'd never install a smoke using flex either.

Anything beyond an HMO will, or certainly ought to have fire resistant cable, though.

Just another failure on behalf of our esteemed legislators.

Aico smokes have a wide cable aperture - and terminals capable of taking 2 2.5mm CSA wires too. Most PIR switches, however, seem to be designed only to take a single 1mm T&E - I agree.

/gripe off.

totally agree much prefer fire tough , although i do wire in three core 1.5mm red sleeve due to mainly the cost and never less than a 1.5mm ,the EI detector seam to be a good little detector and never had a problem with them

Reply to Where to buy? Flat fire cable! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net