Discuss Where to put sockets? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JLeague

-
DIY
Reaction score
As part of a kitchen refit I am trying to work out where to put the electrical sockets for my freestanding appliances.

If I have the sockets directly behind the appliance then they will just out.
If I have them in the unit next to the appliance, I will have to get the back of unit cut out.

I will be having a grid switch installed, but that doesnt solve the problem of where I place the sockets.

Is there any other way where I can get the appliances to sit flush to the back wall but be plugged in thats still accessible?

Put them surface mounted high up and at the front in the cupboard next door (your entry hole will be at the back high up out of sight

Fit the supply cable and the appliance cable in stick on trunking,mount the socket on a surface pattress sideways on so that no cable hangs down

Extra neat,accessible and with ease of operation :cool:

As part of a kitchen refit I am trying to work out where to put the electrical sockets for my freestanding appliances.

If I have the sockets directly behind the appliance then they will just out.
If I have them in the unit next to the appliance, I will have to get the back of unit cut out.

I will be having a grid switch installed, but that doesnt solve the problem of where I place the sockets.

Is there any other way where I can get the appliances to sit flush to the back wall but be plugged in thats still accessible?
TBH probably not. Appliances are now built with no thought to the power supply.

Put them surface mounted high up and at the front in the cupboard next door (your entry hole will be at the back high up out of sight

Fit the supply cable and the appliance cable in stick on trunking,mount the socket on a surface pattress sideways on so that no cable hangs down

Extra neat,accessible and with ease of operation :cool:

Have you a picture of this? I will show my electrician. I want to do something that looks nice and is best for safety and accesibility.

My electrician says its my choice how I want them placed. The kitchen fitter said just ask the electrician to wire up a socket and leave enough slack that he can then slide it under the adjoining cabinet after plugging the appliance in. I think sounds wrong?

So on the kitchen plan. Starting from the corner and working away - the first appliances will be the tumble dryer then Washing machine then a sink unit.

So looking straight on its sink, washing machine, tumble dryer. Now if I have the socket in the sink unit I am not sure the tumble dryer cable is long enough.

Do I need to buy a new tumbe dryer because the plug is moulded onto the dryer and cannot be lengthened.

Not ideal in this situation, to have two appliances side by side and the furthest appliance cable being long enough.

I’ve had similar and said appliance supply lead was run in service void underneath, with its socket mounted at low level, at the back of the adjacent floor unit.

Edit: the appliance can be pulled out for maintenance, by removing plinth and feeding out supply lead.

Why don’t you discuss this with your electrician?

You could have fused switches mounted above the work top and appliance outlets below.

Means always having to call out an electrician to change appliances though.

What the OP is concerned about, is the depth of the socket and the 13 amp plug top sited behind the appliance. Whether it's a grid switch or spur point above worktop has no relevance.

Yes. I think the depth of the plug and socket is about 3cm which will make the washing machine and dryer both jut out from under the worktop.

Re appliances side by side: Not electrical.
Ensure worktop has sufficient support when spanning two appliances.
They tend to sag over a period of time.

Yes I have 3 side panels to create a frame for the 2 appliances.

Look at the rear of the appliances, where possible site the socket where you can obtain the greatest clearance. There might be an indentation rear of appliance. Most appliances not really an issue.
Washing machines, tumble driers etc have pipework and flexible waste pipes

Look at the rear of the appliances, where possible site the socket where you can obtain the greatest clearance. There might be an indentation rear of appliance. Most appliances not really an issue.
Washing machines, tumble driers etc have pipework and flexible waste pipes

That's a very good point.

Is it against regulation to have a socket recessed into the wall? I mean to have the socket set deeper into the wall if possible.

Have you put the worktops in yet? How much space have you in the kitchen?
I use 700mm or wider over washing machines etc. OK, it's more expensive, but it makes life a lot easier.
If that is too expensive, space the units and worktops out by 100mm or more and construct an upstand with facing to match the worktop, leaving tons of space for cabling etc.

Am I missing something but I've never had an issue with an outlet in the wall behind an appliance. Domestic appliances are designed to facilitate this?

Reply to Where to put sockets? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock