Discuss Where to start?! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Denzel

I am looking a becoming an electrician, I'm 27 i have been in business as a groundwork contractor for 10 years (set off young, i know)

Anyhow due to a bad back, and falling out of love with the shovel I'm looking at becoming an electrician. I have just started a university course to become a building surveyor but if I'm honest I'm not sure if it is for me, mainly due to the 4 years of downtime whilst i study.

Id really like some information on how id go about it, would it be possible to say get a job as an electricians' mate/labourer whilst i did the necessary NVQ's at a local training centre? I know quite a few electrician so there may be a chance of this happening.

Obviously i will pay for training and i am willing to work for minimum wage just to get a start, is this a feasible way in? To old for an apprenticeship apparently.

Ive had a look at a local colleges website, is this the right way to go or would a private training centre be quicker?

I have a rough idea of what qualifications id need, am i right in thinking i could start with the NVQlevel 2 and then move onto the level 3, i know there are different codes for different qualifications, I'm yet to familiarise myself with these.

Im in Preston if that helps.

Many thanks, Daniel.

Nobody?!

Ive been having a call round today of all the electricians that i know, a couple said the "fast track" would be ok, not ideal and that id have to get a job as an electricians mate when i leave.

With that in mind i looked around at some bigger local electrical companies and one has a vacancy for an electricians mate, plus I've found a college that does night classes in the 2365 lv1 & lv2, this does sound a better idea.

Anyway, great site, picked up a lot of useful things from all the posts in this section of the forum.

Dan

Hi Denzil. A lot depends on your personal situation and what you can afford. I'm currently doing one of these intensive courses which blasts through the theory with hardly any practical. I don't have much choice due to my current career and circumstances. If you are going to go for it I'd certainly look to getting hands on asap as you can't beat doing it for real. Check out local colleges before committing big bucks.

Hi Dan,

Where abouts did you find the night classes for the 2365 lv1 & lv2? I'm 25, from Bburn and wanting to get trade qualified as a sparky, but a little unsure on where to start to be honest... with being older/adult I think it might be difficult to get an apprenticeship due to lack of government funding and the employer having to pay? Though I have seen adult courses through college, which I have enquired about. How has the electricians mate job been going - will you be able to complete the practical aspect of your qual through that job?

Alternatively, do you know if it's acceptable to complete the college course (1 day per week) for NVQ LV3 whilst working as a mate for 4 days per week, and get fully qualified that way, obviously with evidence of practical work you've carried out?

I studied electronics at AS level (unfortunately the college didn't offer the full A level - wish they'd told me that at the start of the course), so have a bit of previous knowledge, although would need a refresher, so not sure if this would help towards?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Reply to Where to start?! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock