Discuss Which book is best for newbie for Inspection and Testing? Please Help! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nazoom

Hi

I am newbie at the Testing and Inspection of Electrical systems. I need some help in deciding which books to buy. I have a problem in working out what equipment (e.g. RCD, Main Switches, Circuit Breakers, and Fuses) do we turn OFF/ON for each tests (e.g. Zs, Ze, PFC, and RCD times).

I have bought lots of books including: OSG, IEE, GN3, and Testing of Electrical Installation by Anthony Hinsley, and I had no luck in understanding the steps for each tests.

So now I am going to buy one of these two books below and need to know which book is better at explaining the procedures step by step and very clearly! The two books I am thinking of are below:

1. The NICEIC Guide to Domestic Periodic Inspection, Testing and Reporting: Updated to the IEE Regulations BS 7671.

OR

2. Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations: Conforms to IEE Wiring Regulations / BS 7671 / Part P of Building Regulations by Kitcher.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
No.2, Kitchers book is held in high regard on here......havn't read it myself so cant offer an opinion.

Having said that the books you have should be enough. Have you thought about doing the 2392 or 2391 courses???

No.2, Kitchers book is held in high regard on here......havn't read it myself so cant offer an opinion.

Having said that the books you have should be enough. Have you thought about doing the 2392 or 2391 courses???

I have a copy of this and it really is very informative - telling you exactly where to put leads etc when doing tests and it is well illustrated with lots of clear photos - my only criticism of it would be that when it comes to form filling it deals exclusively with the niceic forms rather than the BS7671 versions , but i suppose that is plus in the long run if you want to join them, but not for doing your 2330 or 2391 which deals with the BS7671 versions :)

i have both and the cristopher kitcher practical guide is better as its in a language thats more understandable plus the niceic version is geared towards there interpretation of the regs just by the second one mate along with the other books you already have you should be able to work it out or do a search in the forums there is loads of posts regarding Inspection & Testing that you will find useful

GN3 has all the right pictures and info to explain where to connect your leads etc. You may need to study it a bit more because you are new to the game, and also try get some practical experience with someone who can show you the way. I know it can be a bit daunting at first if you are unsure, but GN3 does tell you all you need to know so stick with it.

GN3 has all the right pictures and info to explain where to connect your leads etc. You may need to study it a bit more because you are new to the game, and also try get some practical experience with someone who can show you the way. I know it can be a bit daunting at first if you are unsure, but GN3 does tell you all you need to know so stick with it.

Not trying to tread on your toes but for a beginner the kitcher book is much more straight forward and better illustrated than GN3 IMO. I have GN3 but was much more relaxed about it once i had read Kitcher's guide to installation and testing, plus it has worked examples and questions with answer in the back. If you were to do the 2391 i would say get both but if it is just general inpection and testing , say level 3 2330 then Kitcher would be my first choice.

Reply to Which book is best for newbie for Inspection and Testing? Please Help! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net