Discuss Which competant person scheme is easiest/cheapest to join? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stroma is cheapest, fcolloowed by elecsa. then there's napit, and , errr, another one.

Wow, never even knew about Stroma. Been working my way through quals for the last 3 years, you'd think there was only one scheme in town going the way it's promoted

i wouldnt bother joining Stroma just to save a few quid , nobodys heard of them , including alot of sparks , so you'll spend half your time explaining to everyone who they are and what they do - which will get incredibly annoying after a while.
its the football equivolent of signing for Accrington Stanley ;-)

Why join any, no one outside the trade has a clue what they are anyway.

And for this very reason is why I am not renewing my subscription to Elecsa later this month.

Until something is done to publicise the fact Part P exists Joe Publig just think it a another unnecessary cost.

Hi Martin,

I researched some of the schemes, mainly by reading threads on this site and decided that I may as well go for the cheapest (which is definitely Stroma, around £200 cheaper p/annum).

The chaps on this site seem to speak reasonably well of Elecsa and Napit and although the NICEIC is the best known, the general concensus on this site seems to be that they are not as offering as good a service any more compared to the others.

From my very limited experience I am happy with Stroma, simply because they were cheap, I have not been with them long enough to form more of an opinion, another year or 2 should tell. I personally dont feel that I need the NICEIC logo to get more work as the general public do not seem to know anything about any of the schemes.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll reply to this thread when you are registered as its good to get some feedback about your experiences.

i certainly wouldnt join anything until the part p changes have been released in April.
you may find with the reduced list of notifiable jobs you dont need to be with any scheme for minor domestic work.

And for this very reason is why I am not renewing my subscription to Elecsa later this month.

Until something is done to publicise the fact Part P exists Joe Publig just think it a another unnecessary cost.

A genuine question.. Will you just stick to commercial/industrial then? Or still do domestic work that does not need certifying?

i certainly wouldnt join anything until the part p changes have been released in April.
you may find with the reduced list of notifiable jobs you dont need to be with any scheme for minor domestic work.

This is all a bit confusing!! I have read the planned changes for Part P in April and although they are being relaxed, you still couldn't change a CU (amongst many other jobs) without being registered? For those who work solely in the Domestic field, surely we still need to be registered? Dont get me wrong, I dont want to be registered as it doesn't seem to mean anything, but I do want to be legal.

Don't people on this site get it

Part P is finished,it was never a sensible thing to inflict on the industry in the first place

In April/when the new procedure comes in,with 3rd party inspections being permitted.notifiable work drastically reduced,it is finished.it will end
It's demise if ever it had a mise in the first place,is complete, Dead, all bar the final nail in the certain coffin

Once more,Part P is finished
icon7.png
icon14.png

This is all a bit confusing!! I have read the planned changes for Part P in April and although they are being relaxed, you still couldn't change a CU (amongst many other jobs) without being registered? For those who work solely in the Domestic field, surely we still need to be registered? Dont get me wrong, I dont want to be registered as it doesn't seem to mean anything, but I do want to be legal.

So I am unable to change a 4 way DB in a house, yet I can swap large industrial panels without so much as any registration?

i wouldnt bother joining Stroma just to save a few quid , nobodys heard of them , including alot of sparks , so you'll spend half your time explaining to everyone who they are and what they do - which will get incredibly annoying after a while.
its the football equivolent of signing for Accrington Stanley ;-)

accrington stanley, who are they?

Wow, never even knew about Stroma. Been working my way through quals for the last 3 years, you'd think there was only one scheme in town going the way it's promoted
well i`v heard about em....lol..
tried ringing them once....took an age to answer the phone and when they finally decided to do so...i thought i was talking to a right set of dummies...

thinking of starting up a new CP scheme. British Electrical Associated & Relevant Electronic Reasearch. just make subscription cheques out to the organisation. or use the initials for short. B.E.A.R.E.R.

So I am unable to change a 4 way DB in a house, yet I can swap large industrial panels without so much as any registration?

I'm not talking about ability (clearly you can change a CU), I'm talking about law. I cant stand being told what to do by 'the Law', but I still try to abide by it (probably because I work in a prison and really dont want to be on the other side!)

Do any work. How many people have been prosecuted for failure to notify a job? Why spend over £400 a year when you dont need too.

what would you get prosecuted for ?
its the responsibility of the property owner to notify , not the spark - most seem not to realise this.

Reply to Which competant person scheme is easiest/cheapest to join? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net