Discuss which crimps for domestic in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys can anyone recommend a decent set of crimps for domestic wiring, mainly twin and earth cable,
tried roleson but really don't trust them because the cable is easily pulled apart, or maybe i pull a bit to hard?

Last edited:
I use a pair of SWA ones from Edmundsons.
Think they were about ÂŁ13. They're alright.

same here. the cheap ones that are a multi tool as in b&q etc.( not ratchet crimpers ) are pants. no wonder the joins come apart.

If you've been using the thin metal rubbishy ones with the wire strippers on the inside of the handles like Tel described, then that's your problem. They may work once or twice if you whack them with a lump hammer. Any ratchet crimper will do the job well, even cheap ones (I've used SWA and Forge Steel, all good, currently got an 8 quid ebay jobby and it works fine).

For domestic work, you want the type that do red, blue and yellow insulated crimps.

Last edited by a moderator:
you want the ones with the 3 colur coded sizes. red ( 1.5mm) blue (2.5) yellow ( 4-6mm) any whoesaler

One thing to be aware of, the crimp tool and crimps should ideally be matched for guaranteed results. I can thoroughly recommend SWA kit, quality products at reasonable prices.
For example if you buy a SWA crimp tool always use SWA crimps with it, use of other manufacturers crimps may give variable results, even though they are supposed to be manufactured to the same standard. Most quality crimp tools are adjustable but its fiddly and time consuming. It took my apprentice nearly 30 minutes the other day to set his crimp tool (from a far east manufacturer) so it did not over crimp the insulation on the crimps he had bought.
Link:Products

Its been mentioned , i think the main issue is crimps rather than the tool
we want to buy as cheap as possible and think they are all going to be the same quality. I stopped using cheap screws, plugs and electi tape a few years ago and will never look back. Have started to use helacons etc and this new technology is great.
We need to find out who makes GOOD crimps more than who make good crimpers !

I use the crimps which they sell in the wholesalers.
I think they're SWA, so my SWA crimpers work fine, just fine.

Reply to which crimps for domestic in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock