Discuss Which downlights do you use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey fellow sparks!

I've fitted quite a variety of LED downlights now, some with fiddly screw connectors, some with easy push fits, some with difficult push fits. Some with the connector built into the body, some with separate connectors.

I prefer separate connectors (so easy to replace the unit), with push fits that are in t&e colour order. The JCC push fit range seem the best so far, but does anyone have anything better they like to use?

I have used KSR for a few years now with minimal failures. Current ones are QR10 and QR5, the larger one having a separate driver but I think the smaller ones have moved to an integrated driver. I don't use many of those.
All have push fits terminals to accommodate 2 x t&e.
They do CCT and tilt versions.

Brightsource solo are the goto at work, been fitting them for 4 years or so now. Probably fitted 1500 and been back to 2 or 3. They have 3 colour temperatures switched under the bezel, 3 magnetic bezels, and the new ones have a push fit connector.

Fitted some of these recently actually. Screw terminals, but nice wide bezel so forgiving with damage to the edges of the cut outs
The h2 lites are push fits. I don’t know if old stock had screw terminals? I have dedicated shelves in my wholesaler where they keep kits etc for me, so when doing new builds I get my wholesaler to remove all the plugs for me and then put the down lights on my dedicated shelves. This way I can 2nd fix and once the plots have been top coated I then get them delivered to site to plug in and push up. Saves having them knocking around site or in the van.

The h2 lites are push fits. I don’t know if old stock had screw terminals? I have dedicated shelves in my wholesaler where they keep kits etc for me, so when doing new builds I get my wholesaler to remove all the plugs for me and then put the down lights on my dedicated shelves. This way I can 2nd fix and once the plots have been top coated I then get them delivered to site to plug in and push up. Saves having them knocking around site or in the van.
Always said there's nowt like a good system.... and using a wholesaler to suit is a bonus these days. It's good for you and them.

I wonder if my wholesaler would give me a dedicated shelf for my ÂŁ250 monthly spend :D

Hey fellow sparks!

I've fitted quite a variety of LED downlights now, some with fiddly screw connectors, some with easy push fits, some with difficult push fits. Some with the connector built into the body, some with separate connectors.

I prefer separate connectors (so easy to replace the unit), with push fits that are in t&e colour order. The JCC push fit range seem the best so far, but does anyone have anything better they like to use?
I use the JCC V50's they are great

Normally just fit a gu10 fitting which you can pick up just about anywhere and use what ever led lamps are on special...
don’t do new builds anymore so speed of installation isn’t a factor...

I use the JCC V50's they are great
I’ve used a load in my house. Been in about 2 years now. Two have just started playing up in my sons room. If switched off for a few minutes they then start working again. They’re in the middle of a chain of six with the others working fine. As it’s my own house I might get round to investigating further at some point! :eek:

I’ve used a load in my house. Been in about 2 years now. Two have just started playing up in my sons room. If switched off for a few minutes they then start working again. They’re in the middle of a chain of six with the others working fine. As it’s my own house I might get round to investigating further at some point! :eek:
Interesting thanks for sharing. I haven't had any problems with the 100's that i've fitted so far but would be interested to know what the problem is with your ones.

Try to use cans where possible just because I had a bad experience when we installed a load of intergrated fittings to a large open plan barn some years back...
They were the old Halers (7 year guarantee) but they started failing just after a year. It caused such an issue as the design changed.

Im looking forward to trying out the Aurora-EFD Pro claim to have push fit terminals and be insulation coverable within LED lamp. Anyone used them ?

Have had no known failures with Enlite E8 and E5s. They are a budget option but last well. Have been using them for around three years at a guess, maybe longer. They are easy push in terminals once you get used to the angle, although the CPCs are a smidgeon more time consuming.

I saw your man Savery using these on one of his videos
never used them myself, but i like the fact that you have switchable colour output (and dimmable, if you must...)
anybody used these?

Reply to Which downlights do you use? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net