Discuss Which Electrical Body Are You With? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

None, because I think the English system of registering Electricians id seriously flawed. I became a spakry back in Australia, where the standard of training esxceeds that of the UK. Further each electrician in LICENSED with the electricity and gas regulator. I was an 'A' grade electrician there. I sat additional training after my apprenticeship concluded to reach that. I further went on the become a Registered Electrical Contractor (R.E.C.), the only way an electrician can work for himself.

All I hear in the UK is cowboy this and cowboy that. You want to stamp them out then the Aussie approach is the only way.

The organisations you mention above are quite frankly a waste of time and money, Sure we have those in Australia too, but they are support bodied, offering assistance in running your business, not trying to be regulatory bodies.

Sorry if this winds up the UK locals, but its a fact. And for your information, there are no cowboy sparkies in Australia. They are all weeded out, any licenses they hold are revoked, and some even face prison time.

Hi Folks,
I said no as I live and work self employed sparkie in NZ. Not a member in NZ either. Was once upon atime, but experience has proved that Board Members are only there in a bid to feather their own nest.

Well guys and girls, let's see who you are registered with.
I understand the need/desire for trade accreditation/membership but most if not all of these organisations are parasitic with fancy offices filled with people drinking coffee all day paid for by the likes of us.
UKAS are the Governments appointed body for accreditation and they would certify, for example Certsure (NICEIC/ELECSA) and this would be to the ISO/IEC 17000 series of standards.
I don't know why there can't be a single non profit making organisation for electrical trades with a single (albeit still subjective) standard.

I have just voted none, never have been , have held a JIB approved card for over 30 years now and do mostly commercial / light industrial work on a sub contract basis , if I do any domestic I stick to small non notafiable work.

I do little bits of data work for a NICEIC contractor but voted None for myself. I got out of the trade when ISO9000 paperwork took up most of my week, after being with the GPO/Post Office Telephones/British Telecom/BT for 30 years and trained thoroughly on everything from a bulb to a lift, gas, water and hydraulics, and DC millivolts to 11Kv HV. Now I'm not allowed to install a s/o at home. The world's gone mad. Having a pocket full of tickets and being registered with the Hawks is all fine but who are you leaving on site while you price that other job?

Ok you should all now be able to vote on more than one selection.

Its a None vote for me, as an industrial electrician I don't need any of them. Basically a cowboy wouldn't last a day in industry, and any electrical work I do at home, just need an installation certificate sent to my councils building department where they keep it on file together with the copy of my certificate that they asked for.

Now I'm not allowed to install a s/o at home.
Of course you can. You can do just about anything but install a new consumer unit or a whole new circuit, and a couple of items like work in the vanishingly small zones in a bathroom.

You could even do the more restricted tasks if you open a case with LABC. But there's a cost to that.

A most amusing thing to me were the threads on the IET forum site when (a much more rigorous) Part P was introduced more than a decade ago. There were a lot of life-time IET (IEE then) HND electronic engineers who found they couldn't legally do much electrical work in their own, or others, houses without getting the relavent City and Guilds Electrical Installation qualifictions and joining smashy and NICIECy. :D

The notification requirements have been very much diluted since then (not good, in my opinion).

Voted now, I am in the NICEIC was an AC and DI contractor, but now just DI, because of ill health and getting on a bit. To be frank and I know this might upset a few people, I am getting quite peed of with it all, when you find people who hold part P status obtained through, lets say bathroom and kitchen fitting are now changing CU's, rewiring houses etc. Its really mocking the sparks who have come up through proper apprenticeships and are fully trained, and they the bodies said the part P side of things would clear out the cowboy's how wrong can they be, so I am thinking none of the bodies are really there to protect our trade, anyway enough of my ranting's I am off to feed my horse now oops! I mean walk my dog. See yer all

Reply to Which Electrical Body Are You With? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock