Discuss Which Electrical Body Are You With? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

None, never was and won't be now as I jacked it in, in 2014 to look after the wife (and partly as there were too many contractors looking for too little work and it was a rapid race to the bottom, spent more time quoting fruitlessly and dealing with dingbats wanting everything yesterday for free than working)

Last 2 months though the house phone has been ringing every other day / everyday (try getting people to delist your number...near blooming impossible) with someone chasing a sparky. Seems more than a few have went back on the books, some others have got rumbled and probably work that was getting put off now needs done, not to mention landlords wanting to get stuff sorted for sale/tenant changeovers.

Will I go back to it...tempted but...going back to it, means grief from DWP (in terms of form filling for Carers Allowance) and a load of paperwork I don't want to get back into, not to mention chasing payments / muppets wanting to haggle the price down on completion / Public Sector parasites who consider any business "crooked" etc.

Methinks I'll stay as a carer...unless the phone starts ringing every other minute...then I might pick up the tools again...

Hi all new to this site but some interesting opinions on registration. I'm not registered with any despite having been in the trade for over 40 years. I must admit that having been involved with the NIC in the capacity of a Qualifying manager,i was not impressed with them in the slightest and must say that they have become a very money orientated organization . I work mainly in the industrial sector so have no real use for them but recently had an engineer for the local authority request an NIC cert for some work saying that these were the only certs they were now accepting. I was obliged to tell him that as a public body he was transgressing EU competition laws by insisting on any specific bodys certs, there seems to be a great deal of confusion as to the roll of these bodies

A slightly more interesting poll would exclude those who don't do notifiable domestic work.
The cynic in me is saying this thread is nothing more than 'click bait'.
I predict another van-related poll is on it's way - people seem to love talking about their vans.

Napit. Never had an issue with them really. Its who i have always been with. My only complaint is Joe Public don't know enough about it all. Letting agents like to ask if you are "NIC qualified", which irritates me as when i say "No, I'm with NAPIT" they look more than a little confused.

Napit. Never had an issue with them really. Its who i have always been with. My only complaint is Joe Public don't know enough about it all. Letting agents like to ask if you are "NIC qualified", which irritates me as when i say "No, I'm with NAPIT" they look more than a little confused.

I'm with NICEIC but under the umbrella of my local authority (as an electrical contractor) so I don't actually pay the fee. Having said that I retire later this year and may just do the odd part time work. Possibly teaching electrical C & G at the local college which I've done before or maybe the odd electrical jobs to pick and choose from and forget all the problems of paying high fees/inconvenience of form filling, calibration of test instruments, updates et cetera et cetera and the list goes on. I feel sorry for all the young lads just starting out but that's just my opinion whatever the arguments are; both for and against.
What's betting that when we eventually BREXIT all the regs will change yet again.

So it appears 'none' has 'won' by a country mile. Has this information fulfilled a purpose other than stimulating conversation?

A slightly more interesting poll would exclude those who don't do notifiable domestic work.

You can still see the most used setup.

I used to registered with NAPIT but since moving to New Zealand i am now a registered sparks out here. No organisations. We have a body that looks after us (EWRB) and all are trained to a very high level so as to be responsible for our own work. All our work is also signed off and new work will be signed off by a registered electrical inspector. Pretty good way of doing things tbh.

None. I'm not self employed. I'll sometimes sub for a mate for some pocket money if he needs, otherwise I work for a company in the controls/automation area. I came away from full time electrical installation some years ago, but get involved every now and then.

The cynic in me is saying this thread is nothing more than 'click bait'.
I predict another van-related poll is on it's way - people seem to love talking about their vans.
Click bait for what? It's not linking to anything. And it's nice to see what people use most. Newbies to the forum love seeing what the regulars use.

Not every thread that isn't a question about somebody's plug has an agenda.

The thread is full of way more useful posts than yours and theirs. If you don't want to contribute to it just go stick the kettle on or write a letter to somebody or something matey.

:gru:

I see the 4 threads you've posted during 2016 have lost traction. You one of those that has something to say in everybody else's thread but doesn't post their own?

NICEIC AC, as they are the establishment and seem to be most recognised. Tried NAPIT for a couple of years inbetween, really lax inspections (not a great sign)- got fed up trying to explain it was an acceptable body to clients. Considering ECA to further our business.

Well guys and girls, let's see who you are registered with.

Im also a member of the EIT, a JIB registered installation electrician and Site Manager and currently employed by UK Power Networks on HV rail projects as project Engineer, HV switching, Document controller and asset manager

Not with anyone at the moment but just looking at which is my best option I am in scotland and just trying to start for myself and any info would be appreciated thanks

Not with anyone at the moment but just looking at which is my best option I am in scotland and just trying to start for myself and any info would be appreciated thanks
Best option, in my humble opinion, don't join any, use green (unregistered) test sheets, these can be for install or periodical EICR tests. If the local authority is not satisfied that the testing or installation is correct they can ask for further work/tests to be done. These will be at local authority expense unless proof of negligence by installer/tester arises, expense will then be transferred to negligent party. If you're confident about your work, your testing is good, then this is the route to go. If you've got testing experience the local authority may have a copy of one or two you've completed, if so the certs will not be questioned, if not they'll visit job and take a look at the quality of work and everything being ok you will never see or hear from them again. The first green install cert I submitted I got a call, guy asks if he could come out and take a look, for peace of mind. Anytime I said. 20 mins later he turns up, sees me and sais, ffs, I ----in' knew I knew that name. I had worked for the guy several times in the past doing T&I in schools and municipal buildings . Well least I wont have to get my feet muddy now, went back to his car then shouted over, you're the 1st spark that's ever put in unregistered certs off their own back...do me a good one.. keep it to yourself, which of course I have.... er... well, until now anyway.

Best option, in my humble opinion, don't join any, use green (unregistered) test sheets, these can be for install or periodical EICR tests. If the local authority is not satisfied that the testing or installation is correct they can ask for further work/tests to be done. These will be at local authority expense unless proof of negligence by installer/tester arises, expense will then be transferred to negligent party. If you're confident about your work, your testing is good, then this is the route to go. If you've got testing experience the local authority may have a copy of one or two you've completed, if so the certs will not be questioned, if not they'll visit job and take a look at the quality of work and everything being ok you will never see or hear from them again. The first green install cert I submitted I got a call, guy asks if he could come out and take a look, for peace of mind. Anytime I said. 20 mins later he turns up, sees me and sais, ffs, I ****in' knew I knew that name. I had worked for the guy several times in the past doing T&I in schools and municipal buildings . Well least I wont have to get my feet muddy now, went back to his car then shouted over, you're the 1st spark that's ever put in unregistered certs off their own back...do me a good one.. keep it to yourself, which of course I have.... er... well, until now anyway.

This is not correct, if there is a current building control fee which has been paid you may be able to get away with this route as the inspection is part of the building control fee, however if they send an inspector and they find something wrong you or the client could end up with a bill. If there has not been a fee paid in respect of building work there must be prior notice to building control before you start work and there should be checks by building control during all three stages of work.

They will charge the house owner a fee (around £260) for notifiable work to be checked as above or if this is not notified a regularization fee after you have cleared off and they try and sell the house without the suitable documentation.

I have supplied certificates as part of a building control regime and you must notify them that you intend to do this prior to starting work. Probably just cheaper joining a scheme and notifying the work like the law says we should?!

Reply to Which Electrical Body Are You With? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock