Discuss Which Electrical Body Are You With? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well excuse me for not dotting i's and crossing T's. As this is an electricians forum I didn't think it necessary to say that reportable work, suprise, should be reported. I did say if they find anything wrong you will be liable but thanks for intimating I didn't, lets me know you didn't read the post properly.

In the chance of me making myself appear a bit thick, for those who are not with a Cps body, how do you lets say get temporary builders supplies with your local network supplier connected without an approved certificate, and issue a building control number to the builder/customer on a extension or new build, prior completion of works, which in many cases happens to me?. And then of course on completion of such works a new certificate is issued with a new BC number.

Prior to registering with a scheme I have always spoken to the local authority building control and stated that I would be undertaking the work and it would be under the building control notice, as @lennyallover has stated this shouldn't incur any cost as it has been paid for in the building control charge, at that point they may want proof of competence (I used to give them a CV and qualification certs etc). In the past the LABC have sent their tester around to have a quick chat and ensure that I wasn't a complete numpty and knew what I was doing. Most DNO wouldn't care who you are or be worried about whether you are in a scheme prior to connection of a temporary supply. I used to just write out as much as I can get on a cert prior to connection for them. Is that what you mean?

Prior to registering with a scheme I have always spoken to the local authority building control and stated that I would be undertaking the work and it would be under the building control notice, as @lennyallover has stated this shouldn't incur any cost as it has been paid for in the building control charge, at that point they may want proof of competence (I used to give them a CV and qualification certs etc). In the past the LABC have sent their tester around to have a quick chat and ensure that I wasn't a complete numpty and knew what I was doing. Most DNO wouldn't care who you are or be worried about whether you are in a scheme prior to connection of a temporary supply. I used to just write out as much as I can get on a cert prior to connection for them. Is that what you mean?
Yes some thing like that, I was just sitting here wondering how others did it, thanks for the reply.

This is the big problem, the Electrical industry is baffling even to us so when the customer is bombarded with advice from several bodies and websites trying to ensure you use there services then this what happens, I was asked if I was part P once to work in a factory on the machinery, I chuckled and explained, we need 1 non profit body to look over everyone like it used to be with the NICEIC before it turned into a profit based scheme provider.
Very well put

I used to be a member with NAPIT, with my company being MG Electrical Installation Services, not enough work to pay for setup each year so I stopped the company, Now I am with IET and Work for UK Power Networks as a BS7671 Test and Inspector and HV switching Level B, level Ap on Network Rail 33kV HV Network

I have a choice of going NAPIT full scope or NICEIC only Domestic Installer due to pricing being around the £500 mark, which would you guys choose ?

Elecsa/NICEIC rang me yesterday, offering me to 'upgrade deal' from Elecsa approved contractor to NICEIC approved contractor, leaving a message on my answerphone. As I predominately deal with Mrs Miggans, I see no financial benefit in this deal.

However, I might ring them up and say as your offering that as a deal at no extra cost, why not offer me a discount on my Elecsa approved contractor fees, as you obviously see the Elecsa brand as less attractive than NICEIC? :rolleyes:

What do ya think? :)

I've heard of people going Napit then moving afterwards to NICEIC !
I just want to get registered in a cost effective way for a sole trader. Mate came to site meet this morning to look at signing off for me / testing, and said he swapped to NICEIC under domestic installer but when assessor came last visit he told him that he is doing MoD work, office blocks, industrial, commercial all of it and the guy just said that's fine ! Surely there is a problem there ? insurance wise too ? or can I just pay D.I. rate and do full scope ??

I've heard of people going Napit then moving afterwards to NICEIC !
I just want to get registered in a cost effective way for a sole trader. Mate came to site meet this morning to look at signing off for me / testing, and said he swapped to NICEIC under domestic installer but when assessor came last visit he told him that he is doing MoD work, office blocks, industrial, commercial all of it and the guy just said that's fine ! Surely there is a problem there ? insurance wise too ? or can I just pay D.I. rate and do full scope ??

Join Stroma ..... at £288 per year all in its a snip!

Reply to Which Electrical Body Are You With? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock