Discuss Which energy efficient lightbulbs [lamps] can i use with digital lightswitch timers ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

As this might be seen as an insignificant `problem` I tried to post this in the DIY section but there was no `New Thread` button showing and my `Status` was showing as `You may not post` - `You may not edit` etc. on that Forum webpage [I was logged in] however I may get more views here.

I Apologise that my explanations below have made this message so LONG - about Lightbulbs !

I have got a possible problem regarding not being able to use the same Phillips Energy Saver Lightbulbs on my Home`s Digital Security Lightswitch Timers that I have been using for YEARS [in 7 Rooms]:

I have had Digital Lightswitch Timers on most of the `Main Lights` in my Home for about 15 Years or more - since the availability of Energy Efficient / Low Energy Lightbulbs [`Lamps`] I have been using `Good Quality` 20 Watt Bulbs.

As I was always aware that the cheap Low Energy Bulbs were NOT suitable for Dimmer Switches or Timers I started off using Osram 20 Watt Low Energy Bulbs - more recently I have been using Phillips 20 Watt Energy Savers - bought a few Years ago.

Before I started using the Osram Low Energy Bulbs I contacted Osram to ask about using with the Timers - they told Me that as long as the Bulb did NOT `Flicker` when the Light was Off their Bulbs should be O.K. to use - when I could not find the Osram Low Energy Bulns I contacted Phillips and was told the same.

None of these ever showed the `Flickering` that I associate with a slight power `leak` through the Digital Timers [?] - I did try a cheap Low Energy Bulb many Years ago to see if / why they would not be suitable.

At that time there was no indication on the boxes that any of these Low Energy Bulbs should not be used with a Dimmer Switch or Lightswitch Timer so although I did check with the Manufacturers I thought at that time `Good Quality` / Known Manufacturer = suitable for Lightswitch Timers - Cheap `Supermarket Special` Low Energy Lightbulbs = Definitely NOT !

NOW THE PROBLEM:

One of the Low Energy Bulbs blew and as I still have a couple of the Phillips 20 Watt Energy Saver Bulbs [from the same batch purchased] I replaced the blown one with the same type - only to find that I got the `Flicker` on the Bulb when the Light was turned Off.

I tried another Phillips 20 Watt Energy Saver - this also Flickered.

I tried these 2 Bulbs in some other Lights - they Flickered in those Rooms also.

This happened during the Week so I contacted Phillips but I could not get to speak to their Technical Department for Lighting products - instead I was advised to submit an enquiry / message on their website as to whether they think that I have 2 Faulty Energy Saver Bulbs OR whether something in the Manufacturing process changed some time ago rendering these 2 Bulbs NOT to be suitable for use with Lightswitch Timers ?

With a Company of their size I will be expecting to wait quite a while for an answer - so I wanted to ask for recommendations from Members who might have come across this situation before.

EDIT:

As I could not find ANY `Dimmable` Low Energy Light Bulbs on the Phillips Lighting website I now doubt whether they will state that these 2 Energy Saver Bulbs are suitable for my Lightswitch Timers.

BUT Why would I have NO problems at all for YEARS using these Phillips Bulbs - until I try to use the last 2 of a purchase of 10 Bulbs ?

Unfortunately I am unable to go anywhere this Weekend / Week where I could buy `Good Quality` / Known Manufacturer` / Phillips or Osram 20 Watt Low Energy Lightbulbs - BUT I wondered if any Members had recommendations for Low Energy Lightbulbs that are suitable for Lightswitch Timers / Dimmer Switches ?

I have not been able to find the OSRAM 20 Watt Low Energy Bulbs that I used to buy even online - perhaps they have been discontinued ?

At present I am using a 70 Watt Halogen Bulb [GLS] in that Light - but I don`t really want to have to dispense with using the 20 Watt Low Energy Bulbs and go to 70 Watt Halogen throughout my Home because I might as well go back to the 100 Watt Bulbs.

Although the Low Energy Bulbs do last quite a long while from MY experience I don`t really want to be paying ÂŁ8.00 or ÂŁ10.00 each for lightbulbs unless there are no alternatives ? [I have looked online ÂŁ8 +].

Thanks for reading this LONG message ! and Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Re: Which energy efficient lightbulbs [lamps] can i use with digital lightswitch time

have you considered going down the LED route?

Re: Which energy efficient lightbulbs [lamps] can i use with digital lightswitch time

have you considered going down the LED route?

"Hello Telectrix",

Thanks for your reply.

I have not looked at LED Lightbulbs [Bayonet Cap available ?] because I was under the impression that they would not `Light Up the Room` like a 20 Watt Low Energy Bulb does ? [Good Quality]

As the Lightswitch Timers are for Security purposes I need the Lights to be visible through some of the Room`s Curtains [other curtains have thermal lining] - so the Bulbs need to be as bright as an old 100 Watt GLS Bulb.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

EDIT: I have just found Bayonet Cap 14 Watt GLS Low Energy Dimmable Lightbulbs online - they cost ÂŁ23.99 ! [plus P&P]:

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/crompton-dimmable-led-14w-gls-warm-white-bc-frosted/p3983/

Last edited:

i'd try the 13watt LED. only thing to watch out for with the LED lamps is the start-up current is high.

i'd try the 13watt LED. only thing to watch out for with the LED lamps is the start-up current is high.

"Hello again telectrix",

You must have seen the 13 Watt Phillips LED Bulb that I edited in a link to - unfortunately I just found out that it is NOT `Dimmable` - so I assume also not suitable for my Lightswitch Timers - so I removed the paragraph and link about it probably while You were writing your reply to Me - "Sorry".

Thanks for pointing out about the `Start Up current` - my Lightswitch Timers have `Quick Blow` Fuses so does that mean I should rule out LED Bulbs ?

Regards,

Chris

"Hello again telectrix",

You must have seen the 13 Watt Phillips LED Bulb that I edited in a link to - unfortunately I just found out that it is NOT `Dimmable` - so I assume also not suitable for my Lightswitch Timers - so I removed the paragraph and link about it probably while You were writing your reply to Me - "Sorry".

Thanks for pointing out about the `Start Up current` - my Lightswitch Timers have `Quick Blow` Fuses so does that mean I should rule out LED Bulbs ?

Regards,

Chris

"Hello again",

Just in case anyone is EVER Interested in this subject for similar reasons to Me - a bit more detail - although I have still NOT found a suitable Bulb type that is `affordable` / a sensible price:

While researching some details about Dimmable Low Energy Lightbulbs I read an article about them and I found a 20 Watt Phillips Tornado `Dimmable` Spiral CFL Bulb after seeing a link to an Ebay webpage - this is a Screw in bulb and it comes with an Adapter to a Bayonet Cap on the Ebay listing - it is clearly described as Dimmable on the specification:

Dimmable Philips Tornado Light Bulb 20w = 80w 100w E27 B22 Bayonet CFL ES Cap | eBay

However I later found the 23 Watt Phillips Tornado Spiral CFL Bulb with a Bayonet Cap - this is shown to NOT be Dimmable:

Philips Tornado Energy Saver Light Bulb 23W B22 CFL Warm White Spiral Light New | eBay

I wondered if this was because You would probably not buy a 23 Watt [110 watt equivalent ?] if you wanted to Dim it ?

BUT - ON THE PHILLIPS WEBSITE THE ONLY `TORNADO CFL` THAT I CAN FIND [A 20 WATT] IS SHOWN AS NOT DIMMABLE !

The Article on `Dimmable Energy Saving Lightbulbs` is here:

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Dimmable-Energy-Saving-Lightbulbs.htm

I hope that this is not too Boring on a Forum for Professional Electricians - BUT - IF I find a suitable Low Energy Bulb this might help other Members / Readers in future.

I will not be very happy if I have to pay anything like ÂŁ24.00 EACH for Lightbulbs to suit my Lightswitch Timers !

And I probably would not do that as I doubt whether I could suppress the `Annoyance` every time one Blew !

I have posted these Links to demonstrate that even when one tries to research this subject You can still get `misdirected` and end up buying a Bulb that is NOT compatible with a Lightswitch Timer or Dimmer Switch !

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

If you want to light up a room 'as though it were a 100w GLS'.......why are you looking at dimming in the first place?

Look up Megaman - they do a whole range of decent quality LED lamp replacements.

If you want to light up a room 'as though it were a 100w GLS'.......why are you looking at dimming in the first place?

"Hello Rockingit",

Thanks for your interest:

It is my understanding that I will need a Low Energy Lightbulb that is rated as `Dimmable` to be compatible with my Home`s Digital Lightswitch Timers:

I believe that this is because the `Electronics` within the Timer `let by` a very small amount of Power to the Bulb causing the Cheap / incompatible Bulbs to Flicker constantly - obviously NOT desirable.

Years ago when the Low Energy Lightbulbs became available I asked Osram and some Years later Phillips whether their Low Energy Bulbs were compatible and on both ocassions I was told that they were - `Because they are well made` - `Beware of the Cheap ones` - this was before the `Dimmable` specification was brought in.

I was told that the cheap versions of the Low Energy Lightbulbs would constantly `Flicker` because the Lightswitch Timers `Leak` a very small amount of power [my description] to the Bulb in the OFF position.

As I would not expect any of the Low Energy Bulbs to have `Lightswitch Timer Compatible` specified - I have mentioned the `Dimmable` specification in my paragraphs / questions.

I hope that this is clearer than what I wrote in my other messages.

Thank You for the Megaman details.

I asked in an earlier reply to telectrix whether LED Bulbs are suitable regarding their High Start Up power for my Home`s Lightswitch Timers - because the Timers have `Quick Blow` Fuses - what do You think ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

TBH, I think you're creating a problem here which doesn't exist. Try a good quality LED lamp replacement and see what happens. LED drivers (internal) are far more interested in waveshape than they are voltage, and the triac in a digital switch firing slightly less volts than what is being received in is of little consequence to them.

TBH, I think you're creating a problem here which doesn't exist. Try a good quality LED lamp replacement and see what happens. LED drivers (internal) are far more interested in waveshape than they are voltage, and the triac in a digital switch firing slightly less volts than what is being received in is of little consequence to them.

"Hello again Rockingit",

I asked about the LED Bulbs because Member telectrix mentioned the `High Start Up current` and I know that the Timers have `Quick Blow` Fuses because I had to get the details from the Manufacturer to be able to obtain spare fuses after one blew with a Bulb and I did not have any spares.

It was the mention of the High Start Up current on LED Bulbs that made Me wonder if that would immediately blow the Fuses ?

I don`t feel that I was `creating a problem that does not exist` - I saw a comment from telectrix which MIGHT have been vitally important regarding NOT using LED Bulbs on my Home`s Lightswitch Timers.

I would have been foolish to NOT ask about this.

Thanks again for your interest and for the technical details about the LED Bulbs and Megaman bulbs.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to Which energy efficient lightbulbs [lamps] can i use with digital lightswitch timers ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net