Discuss which is the besst way? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

thekingiam

rewired all the house and forgot about light in pantry where consumer unit is.
would it be beter to run a cable from cu and put an extra mcb in, i have to put a socket in there as well from a 16 mcb so i could connect from the socket to a fcu into lighting circuit as well which would you do?

You don't need a whole new circuit. Also if you add a new circuit then it's notifiable.
Personally i would add another connection to the existing downstairs lighting MCB and run that to the pantry switch/light.
Run a spur from the consumer unit's downstairs socket mcb to power the socket.

as above^^^ K.I.S.S. , as my old boss used to say.. "keep it simple, stupid."

i was thinking of running a cable to existing lighting mcb but was thinking of segregation of circuits. i suppose it makes no difference as the mcb controls lights,what about when i come to test would i group it with all lights on that mcb?
if i connected the socket to the 32 amp ring main mcb when i come to test would i use this spur to get my readings for R1 and R2.

I guess you used the loop in system with feeds going to the rose. Pull the feed out of the CU take it to the new position and install a new length of cable back to the CU, and a switch wire.

You don't need a whole new circuit. Also if you add a new circuit then it's notifiable.
Personally i would add another connection to the existing downstairs lighting MCB and run that to the pantry switch/light.

I would have thought better to come off the upstairs lighting circuit, at least then you would have light in the pantry to see what you are doing at the CU, if the downstairs lighting breaker tripped.. lol!!!

good point, eng. and as steveberry says. just make it the first light on the existing circiut .

I think the best design is to have it on the main switch (no RCD protection) with the switch drop in mini trunking.
For obvious reasons.

only if he's got a hi integrity board, though.

wouldn't want to pull back cable as i have had difficulty getting all cables to cu as it is .
as you can see not much space to drop cables. lighting cables in 25 mm trunking on the right and i need them on the left, running a new circuit from cu would save me alot of sress and effort, would i need a seperate mcb for 1 light or connect to existing mcb in cu?
which is the besst way? IMG_20120710_183814 - EletriciansForums.net

TBH mate it really doesn't matter what you do. The most important thing is that you do whatever is quickest and easiest so you can get yer feet up earlier.

just thought ide show another pic of conduwhich is the besst way? IMG_20120710_191025 - EletriciansForums.netit going to other side of kitchen to bond incoming water.

wouldn't want to pull back cable as i have had difficulty getting all cables to cu as it is .
as you can see not much space to drop cables. lighting cables in 25 mm trunking on the right and i need them on the left, running a new circuit from cu would save me alot of sress and effort, would i need a seperate mcb for 1 light or connect to existing mcb in cu?
View attachment 13488

You can use the feed as a draw to pull the new cable in and a new mini trunking for the switch drop (easy) or divert the supply out the side of the trunking and fit a wall mounted bulkhead.
if its that tight would it not be better to fit a length or 2x2 trunking in place of those 3 lengths
Have you taken into account the grouping factor for those cables?

i think i need a light to carry on so i will do it in the morning thanks guys again.:bucktooth:

if i connected the socket to the 32 amp ring main mcb when i come to test would i use this spur to get my readings for R1 and R2.

No.
You need to check the R1 and R2 on this spur, but this spur will be short, so will give untypically low figures for R1+R2. You need to record the highest R1+R2 for the circuit, which will be somewhere near the middle if it's a ring, or at the extreme end if a radial, or possibly at the end of a long spur off the ring.

could non rcd protect in mini trunkiing, but tt system so main rcd usually trips out everything first before split load rcd s in cu.

Which says to me that the "main" RCD is not time delayed. Are you intending to remove or replace it when you've finished wiring the CU? (I assume that all final circuits are protected by RCDs in the CU.)

Reply to which is the besst way? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock