Discuss Which LED driver would I require for downlights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello everyone..

I have a customer who has 5 x 12v downlight fittings that they want installing. I have explained that 230V GU10's would be much better but they are adamant they want these specific MR16 holders.

I have replaced LED drivers before but never actually installed from scratch. With halogen MR16's I use a separate transformer for each light. My question is can I use a 30W constant voltage LED driver for all 5 of the LED downlights (lets assume they are 5w each) or would it be better to fit individual LED drivers for each light?

Cost is a factor and 1 x 30W is cheaper than 5 individual LED drivers. However, if the 30W driver becomes faulty then all lights stop!

Thanks.

Hello everyone..

I have a customer who has 5 x 12v downlight fittings that they want installing. I have explained that 230V GU10's would be much better but they are adamant they want these specific MR16 holders.

I have replaced LED drivers before but never actually installed from scratch. With halogen MR16's I use a separate transformer for each light. My question is can I use a 30W constant voltage LED driver for all 5 of the LED downlights (lets assume they are 5w each) or would it be better to fit individual LED drivers for each light?

Cost is a factor and 1 x 30W is cheaper than 5 individual LED drivers. However, if the 30W driver becomes faulty then all lights stop!

Thanks.
maybe use a constant current driver 0 - 65V and connect lights in series????

I would quote them for MR16 fittings, each with drivers .............

You will get the blame when the single driver goes!

I think that's probably a good idea.

Why are they insisting on these 12V downlights?

For 2 reasons.
They already have them so they see themselves as saving on cost. i have explained this is false economy. The second reason is the main reason.. they look very unusual. They are a made out of some kind of marble type substance and are bright, deep blue in colour. Quite striking actually.

The easiest and cheapest option as I see it HHD would be just remove the transformers then connect GU10 lampholders with LED lamps. [you can get 10 packs of decent 5w GU10 LEDs now for under £20 these days]. And the lampholders with tails are probably only around £1-£2 each.

The easiest and cheapest option as I see it HHD would be just remove the transformers then connect GU10 lampholders with LED lamps. [you can get 10 packs of decent 5w GU10 LEDs now for under £20 these days]. And the lampholders with tails are probably only around £1-£2 each.
I have thought about that Dave and I would really like to do that, but.. the lamp holders say 12v on them so are designed for 12v. There isnt actually any metal in them apart from the springs and the circular retaining clip, but... again they are designed with 12v in mind??
Plus they have a small slot which allows the MR16 fitting (metal strip) to slot into it to hold the terminal blocks away from the fitting. The GU10 ones are larger than this slot.

I honestly can't see any issue with the 12v labelling mate, probably partly to stop daft end users trying to fit mains lamps, and also consider in the case of Halogen lamps you'd be looking at 20x as much current with 12v versus mains. I often discard those metal strip things and just arrange the wiring to one side above the fittings, anyway I'd be happy to convert to mains GU10 holders and lamps but I do take your point.

Reply to Which LED driver would I require for downlights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net