Discuss Which led pir floodlight? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Julie.

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We need to install two floodlights outdoors in a very exposed position, they are also inaccessible and need a big scaffolding job to span a small river to fit/maintain them.

So we need some that are reliable!

Can anyone recommend any - we know that there is always a possibility of a failure no matter what make, but obviously 'ebay specials' are likely to be at the more frequent failure end!

We have been looking at 'Ansell Calinor 50W 3000K White LED Floodlights with PIR' and 'Aurora Lighting Helius PIR 50W Cool White Adjustable LED Floodlights'

Has anyone real experience with these makes, or could recommend 'the best of the best'?

Hi Julie - you are right to be concerned as I reckon there has been a marked decline in the weatherproofing over the years. I have used the Ansell Calinor range and was impressed, but I have recently had exactly that 50W PIR fail, so they aren’t quite as reliable as I’d thought. My observation is it’s mostly the PIR units that fail. So if you can put up a “simple” light and have the luminance / PIR unit tucked under the eves remotely it might be better. That way if it does go wrong a small ladder will allow it to be accessed.

Are you near the coast and have those environmental issue?

No, the Highlands in a very famous Glen!

It's the wind driving down the Glen that lifts the snow and rain horizontal, or even upwards at vertical faces!
[automerge]1575197968[/automerge]
Hi Julie - you are right to be concerned as I reckon there has been a marked decline in the weatherproofing over the years. I have used the Ansell Calinor range and was impressed, but I have recently had exactly that 50W PIR fail, so they aren’t quite as reliable as I’d thought. My observation is it’s mostly the PIR units that fail. So if you can put up a “simple” light and have the luminance / PIR unit tucked under the eves remotely it might be better. That way if it does go wrong a small ladder will allow it to be accessed.
Thanks, I have thought about that, we could put the PIR over the road, and the light in the more useful position, but as it's a winding approach Road, it might be a bit late in sensing the cars, unfortunately we can't have the light on permanent as "it spoils the tourist experience" apparently

I blame the Campbells!

Last edited:
Hi - if there is power available further down the road, the luminance/ motion detector could be put there and the switching transferred to the light with a radio switch. These can have a few hundred metres range outdoors. Just another thought.

can i ask what type of radio switch you woukld reccomend for this as i have a similar job thanks

can i ask what type of radio switch you woukld reccomend for this as i have a similar job thanks

I have details of good radio switches but I am away for the weekend.
Pm me if you don’t get a good response and it will remind me to respond in the morning.

BELL have a 5 year guarantee and will be replaced by their own spark if they fail within that period. Well worth it if they are somewhere like that.

Reply to Which led pir floodlight? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock