Discuss Which multi function tester should I buy? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at buying a new multi-tester, I have previously had a megger but am interested in your opinions on the Fluke 1652B or 1653B.

I only carry out domestic work and will be using it to measure the readings required for minor works and installation certs (Ze, Zs RCD trip etc).

I am not sure of the difference between the 52 and 53 so do not know if I would benefit.

Thank you.

stick to a megger. which one have you got?

Hi,

I am looking at buying a new multi-tester, I have previously had a megger but am interested in your opinions on the Fluke 1652B or 1653B.

I only carry out domestic work and will be using it to measure the readings required for minor works and installation certs (Ze, Zs RCD trip etc).

I am not sure of the difference between the 52 and 53 so do not know if I would benefit.

Thank you.

The 53 has the option to conduct an earth resistance test and also has a memory for storing and downloading test results. It also offers 50 and 100V insulation resistance tests rather than the standard and fairly ample 250,500 and 1000V tests:

Fluke 1653B Multifunction Installation Tester

So whats the difference between the 53B and the 54B? And......what's the direct Megger comparison? I'm in the market for a new MFT having finally lost patience with my Metrel going t1ts up yet again!

The 53 has the option to conduct an earth resistance test and also has a memory for storing and downloading test results. It also offers 50 and 100V insulation resistance tests rather than the standard and fairly ample 250,500 and 1000V tests:

Fluke 1653B Multifunction Installation Tester

I hand write and issue all certs on-site so not sure that the 53 would be any more use other than for the earth resistance tests.

Why would you buy a Megger? Do the flukes have known problems? I find the megger a bit slow and clumsy, mine has broken so I am going to replace it rather than repair. I had the MFT1553.

i have the 1553. it's only slow on the no-trip loop test. what i don't like about the flukes is nulling the leads for efli testing and having to press buttons for continuity tests. now that's slow.

Megger's MFT1553 was my tester of choice when I was a practising spark. Very intuitive, solid and well made.

That said, it's no longer available outside of the second hand market. If anyone buys one second hand, make sure it's supplied calibrated and that it's not stolen.

Rockingit - the 54b has a high milliohm resolution on loop tests similar to the Kewtech KT65DL and also has the ability to test DC current/high frequency RCD's

Markadams - you would probably be fine with the Fluke 52 if you decide on Fluke, or look at the Megger MFT1720. Do not discard the Kewtech models either - their latest MFT is arguably one of the best on the market Kewtech KT65DL

Megger's MFT1553 was my tester of choice when I was a practising spark. Very intuitive, solid and well made.

That said, it's no longer available outside of the second hand market. If anyone buys one second hand, make sure it's supplied calibrated and that it's not stolen.

Rockingit - the 54b has a high milliohm resolution on loop tests similar to the Kewtech KT65DL and also has the ability to test DC current/high frequency RCD's

Markadams - you would probably be fine with the Fluke 52 if you decide on Fluke, or look at the Megger MFT1720. Do not discard the Kewtech models either - their latest MFT is arguably one of the best on the market Kewtech KT65DL

Test-meter,

I have no experience of the Kewtech MFT's how do they compare to the megger or fluke for features and reliability?

Mark.

Test-meter,

I have no experience of the Kewtech MFT's how do they compare to the megger or fluke for features and reliability?

Mark.

Feature wise, probably better in all honesty. Reliability has never been an issue for us either. Some reports of dust and grit getting behind rotary dials within time, but if you take care of them they'll be fine.

I don't know if you remember the Robin testers, but when the Fluke corporation bought the Robin brand and rebadged it as Robin/Amprobe, the original Robin personel left to set up the Kewtech Corporation. Many older contractors were fond of the Robin testers, they were certainly reliable. This has proven to be the case with Kewtech too, having sold many of their testers over the last few years.

If you can, it's always best to try a model out. We're happy to assist if you're local to us in Leeds, but if not, try having a look at one at a local wholesaler.

Well, just had a conversion with a friend and he has offered me his Fluke 1653 as he is upgrading. just wondering if it is worth getting it while I decide which is the best meter as I there seems so many options and nothing is simply.

Does anyone think the Fluke 1653 would be ok and what the difference is between the 1653 and 1653B.

You either like flukes or hate them, just like Marmite, I hate them, I wouldn't own one if it was free myself, get a meggar and you won't be unhappy IMO.

I have the 1652B and it does the Job well,never had any issues with it,just had it calibrated and all functioning as it should,had the unit for 4 years and dropped a few times and still going strong,handy case it comes in too,good to sit on when needed,how much does your mate want for his fluke? Its a bit like drills some prefer bosch,some dewalt,but both megger and fluke have good pedigree.

£50 a sodding bargain, I'll give him that and it will be on eBay for a lot more, sure it bit stolen?

if it was me I'd get a 1654B as it does everything, if you buy the best you won't be kicking your self for not wanting to pay the extra penny's.

No certainly not stolen, he used it on a daily basis as he is a commercial electrician. I just need to get something until I decide which one I really want. For the money it is a good stop gap.

well worth the £50. it will do you for a fair bit, rhen if and when you upgrade, you'll get your money back and more. bite his hand off @ £50.

i got a 1653 fluke not had a problem with it except the leads but thats the same with every meter , problem with megger is i keep seeing labels and stickers saying do not megger so i use my fluke instead:grin:

I use a megger 1720. I find it nice to use. Has all the functions you need for testing. Only thing I find it loves eating batteries. Couple sets of good quality rechargeables and its much cheaper to run.

Got mine for £500 nearly brand new. Two calibrations since owning and its always been spot on. But everyones preference is different.

Reply to Which multi function tester should I buy? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net