Discuss Which Order to Do the Relevant Courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening guys

Plan on doing my 17th (possibly 18th) edition, building regs and inspection and testing courses.

I have basic electrical knowledge as i currently work in appliance repair, and have experience with cooker installs and perform checks on customers electrical systems. (Checking earthing systems, earth loop tests, IR checks on appliances, RCD checks ect ect) and wish to go on to do my quals and then hopefully be taken on as an electricians mate.

My question is what order do you think i should do these courses? Or are there any other courses you would advise looking at?

Cheers all the best

Jacko

A level 3 technical certificate, i.e. 2365 level 2 and 3. For underpinning knowledge.

NVQ level 3.
AM2.

Once you have these you will be able to apply for the JIB gold card and be graded an installation electrician.

I think Doctors can be qualified quicker then electricians:)

The most reconised route is one yr doing your level 2 then two yrs doing your level 3 then another 2 or 3 yrs gaining your NVQ as a mate. So 5 to 6 yrs.

You can sort of see why many don't praise up these training centres that say you can be a qualified spark in 5 weeks.

I know somebody who went to one of them 5 week training centres and instead of a bunch of short courses did the 2365 l2 and l3, it took him about several months something like a week or so in the training centre then a couple weeks off working on site as a apprentice. it cost him several grand but his work paid half. he got his L2 and L3 at the end of it and is now doing his NVQ portfolio. all in to get his gold card will take him around 2 years but hes the exception rather than the rule as he was a engineer of some sort in the navy so was within his comfort zone with the electrical side of things.

I suppose the way your friend done it was spread over months which gave him plenty of time to absorb & take important info in.

"Time served" will always been seen as someone who was structured to college though the relevant route then apprenticeship.

Rather than the path you suggest
If you decide to do the courses posted,there is little stopping you getting employed now as a mate,perhaps getting your quals whilst you gain more experience

Definitely 2365 L2 & L3 then, 17th Edition, & 2391, don't bother with the Part P a waste of time. 17th Edition and Inspection and Test would be an uphill struggle without the L2 & L3, it may be possible as I am sure someone will tell you but you really want to understand the basics and have an underpinning knowledge prior to taking them.

If I were you i would do the 2365 l2 and then testing and inspection and wait for the 18th. This will then allow you to register on a CPS (donestic level to get you started) . A lot of them will Let you wait for the 18th as it's so close. Be warned the 2365 is changing to something else in the new year found this out fairly recently!

If I were you i would do the 2365 l2 and then testing and inspection and wait for the 18th. This will then allow you to register on a CPS (donestic level to get you started) . A lot of them will Let you wait for the 18th as it's so close. Be warned the 2365 is changing to something else in the new year found this out fairly recently!

Why would you recomend leaving the lvl 3? Is this so i could do the domestic installer course and start earning a few quid as an installer then move on to lvl 3 and do my nvq after gaining some domestic experience?

That is the route I have taken. And to add to that the 2365lv3 will be no more come the new year. They have changed the syllabus and called it something else...typical C+G! If you want to go down the route of working for a larger company I'm not sure how far you will need to go but from what I understand the level 3 allows you to join schemes that allow you to also do commercial and industrial electrics. But the way i did is do the lv2 and gain industry experience and progress from there. Hope my input helps and doesn't confuse things more !

Edit: plus you could earn some money in the process

Do the level 2 and then Level 3, the level 2 leads to the level 3 and consolidates your learning, I had worked in the industry some years ago and even with my experience I was glad to do the Level 2 prior to the level 3, especially if you intend to get into domestic electrical work. Level 3 has inspection and testing within it as one of the units. If you only want to undertake domestic work and join a scheme you can do this with just the 2365 L3. You do not need to separately undertake the 2391 unless you then want to go onto undertake periodic inspections, it would enhance your test and inspect ability but basic fault finding and testing of new installations is in the 2365 Level 3. Don't worry about qualifications being changed, they always change and you will never keep up, they have an equivalency to the new qualification so you do not need to worry about it. If you want to actually know what you are doing and not just get by, do the level 3, the 2365 can be easily converted to the 2357 at a later date by doing a bridging unit and a work based portfolio. The main difference in the qualifications is that 2357 is aimed at apprentices and those already in the industry, from what you have described the 2365 is the most appropriate course for you at this time.

As above Calum if you do the level 2 then the level 3 is a must. Not sure why anyone would do the level 2 & not the level 3.

That is the route I have taken. And to add to that the 2365lv3 will be no more come the new year. They have changed the syllabus and called it something else...typical C+G! If you want to go down the route of working for a larger company I'm not sure how far you will need to go but from what I understand the level 3 allows you to join schemes that allow you to also do commercial and industrial electrics. But the way i did is do the lv2 and gain industry experience and progress from there. Hope my input helps and doesn't confuse things more !

Hi DB.

Just an email back off C&G & the level 2 & 3 2365 will not change until January 2020. Registrations for these courses will end December 2019.

I've just received an email from C&G & the 2365 level 2 & level 3 will run until December 2019.

Reply to Which Order to Do the Relevant Courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net