Discuss Which power cable do I use with a 1400w power supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Bitmain Z11 ASIC miner and it is not supplied with the power cable and unfortunately I have minimal electrical qaulifications.
The power supply for this machine is 1400 watts, has an input voltage of 176-264v 50/60Hz and is rated 15A MAX. Output is 12V - 115A MAX
I thought about buying a C13 power cable with a 13amp fuse but I'm not 100% sure. I can't afford starting a fire and don't want to break the machine.
So I would be grateful if any electricians out there could let me know exactly which cable I should buy?

Which power cable do I use with a 1400w power supply? 20190504_000820 - EletriciansForums.net

Does it have a connection socket or is it hard wired?
You will need 1.5mm flex..
I would go for a 5a fuse to start with..
My reason being is that I wouldn’t trust that device with a 13a fuse.
(Who knows what they would get up to) ;)
Do you have any old iec leads knocking about?

just because it says 1400 doesn't mean it is always 1400 !
That is the maximum figure, in reality it is probably much less,
What is it powering ?

Blimey, does mining bitcoins use that energy? Why don’t you hire a 1.5 tonne digger from Jewsons and buy the diesel when you need it :)

Blimey, does mining bitcoins use that energy? Why don’t you hire a 1.5 tonne digger from Jewsons and buy the diesel when you need it :)

Home mining has for some years been complete folly, where you will spend more on electricity than the value of the 1/10,000th of a Bitcoin you will occasionally mine. When it reached this tipping point, was when buying a share in a mining contract became a more popular alternative. Whilst these home devices are still sold online, they will always result in disappointment and a large electricity bill (often for the parents).

Google 'bitcoin mine' and look at the images of the multi-MW server farms that now exist, with state of the art processing power. The whole industry is at odds with the objective to become carbon neutral - see this chart.

Apparently, alternative investment of larger amounts of electricity consumption at home may still yield good profitability!

I'm afraid what you have,there,is the modern equivalent,of the goose which laid a golden egg.....only instead of a goose,it's a Chinese supplier...and instead of an egg,it's poop. :)

The units specs are here. It states use a standard IEC lead, current draw is less than or equal to 10A so a decent 13A IEC lead will be fine.

Thanks for all your replies. I have a 10amp cable but it is meant for use with the tv. It isn't hard wired no.
It is still profitable, believe it or not, as this machine, the z11, mines the equihash algorithm at 135ksols/s. BUT for how long I don't know.
I think i will have to wait til monday when the supplier can get back to me. I'd go with freddo probably being correct though.

Yes these power supplies use a regular IEC C13 cable. A 1.0mm² / 10A rated type should be used.

just because it says 1400 doesn't mean it is always 1400 !
In this case it is. You switch it on, it connects to the network and off it goes with the power meter at a steady maximum. If it ain't using the juice, it ain't earning the coin.

Home mining has for some years been complete folly, where you will spend more on electricity than the value of the 1/10,000th of a Bitcoin you will occasionally mine.

Well, it depends whether you were going to use the electricity for heating anyway. Compared to a miner, a resistive heating element seems a bit daft. It just converts electrical energy to heat without doing any compuation or generating any revenue. This is where home mining scores over large farms - they might get cheaper leccy and have more efficient miners, but they can't use the heat so that all represents loss. When you have a cold warehouse with no gas supply, the heat is fully utilised for part of the year at least so all mining work is profit once the miners are paid for.

The challenge is to encourage people to do more crypto transactions in the winter.

Reply to Which power cable do I use with a 1400w power supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock