Discuss Which Proving Unit to buy in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Currently (no pun intended) training as a sparky, would be grateful for ideas about which proving unit to buy, are they all much of a muchness or are there some to be avoided, after all this could save your life one day. All thoughts appreciated.

Down2earth.

They seem shockingly :eek: expensive for what they are. I suspect a lot of domestic electricians probs don't bother with them unless they really need them - just proving their tester on other live circuits. I must admit i would rather put my money towards a good multi-tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that, on the subject of multi testers, which one would you choose, have had limited experience of the Fluke 1600 and a Magellan(?), apart from the need to grow a third arm to hold the testers and press buttons they seem to be pretty similar.

Down2earth

forget the prove unit its h&s (NO SWEARING) and dont happen in real world and get megger 1552

my opinion only

They seem shockingly :eek: expensive for what they are. I suspect a lot of domestic electricians probs don't bother with them unless they really need them - just proving their tester on other live circuits. I must admit i would rather put my money towards a good multi-tester.

Hi Pushrod
The reason their so expencive is down to the fact that most people buy one ! thats it nothing more as a past electronics test/bench engineer (25 years) if i really did need one id goto maplin or RS to get the parts and make one very cheap the way they make them it prob costs them 4p each as they buy in big bulk parts etc and sell to us at a rip off price. If you need it their there to con.
Regards
Kung.

Down2earth
If you did want one id shop arround not saying their bad just over priced if you do use Ebay then you might get a good deal etc but just think their worth £25 tops
Regards
Kung.

Thanks for that, on the subject of multi testers, which one would you choose, have had limited experience of the Fluke 1600 and a Magellan(?), apart from the need to grow a third arm to hold the testers and press buttons they seem to be pretty similar.

Down2earth

Bit of a can of worms there down2 earth - it depends who you talk to. Some say get an all in one multi tester- only one thing to carry with you calibration is a bit cheaper than having 2 or more separate items. Others say if you've got just one piece of kit and it goes wrongs/breaks then you are stuffed, and if you want to upgrade you have buy it all again. The decent mullti testers seem to range in price from £450 upwards.I have only done insulation tests and continuity/polarity tests at college with a megger tester and so did not really know what to look for in a multitester. In the end i bought a ROBIN kmp 3075DL off ebay (not a multi). Have been very pleased with it as it came with long wandering leads/ croc clips and a socket and see and a calibration unit. Was rather nervous paying £150 blind but i seem to have been lucky.
My college is in the process of evaluating some metrel units and if they are happy with them i might get one as well as they are a bit cheaper than some of the more established brands (plus the store man said he would pass on to me any discount he can get :D)
Agree with the need for 3 arms and that's with a neck strap and crocs- the really good ones can store all the readings and blue tooth them to your computer and then print out certificates with the readings. If you were going to be testing all day they would definitely be worth it.

Reply to Which Proving Unit to buy in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock