Discuss Which Publication is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

This picture was sent to me by a plumber - so I'm guessing its some form of plumbing or gas safe regs

Gas Regs.jpg

He was saying the bond HAD to be within 600mm and that my regs (BS 7671 AMD3 were wrong!)

So I was wondering is this is the document above that needs changing to reflect the proper description!

Bonding within 600mm of where the service enters the property is not the same as within 600mm of the meter outlet.
I would say the diagram is a rough guide, not to be taken as applicable for all instances.
Perhaps Section ‘L’ gives more guidance?

it's totally wrong anyway. 1st para. last line.the whole purpose of bonding is to make the pipework "live" for the duration of a fault, thus eliminating the PD between the pipework and the exposed part of the installation that has become "live".

it'san old publication from the 90's.after the wiring regs became BS7671,but before IEE became IET.

Tell him his publication is years out of date.
There is no longer an IEE, it’s now the IET and the Regs have been updated a number of times since the IEE ceased to exist.
A bit like CORGI now being Gas Safe.
Saying that though, it was never correct.

I spoke to my scheme on this as the main gas was not bonded in a factory but was located about 200 meters from the MET , the gas pipe did run past the MET though. He agreed with my suggestion to bond gas pipe at the location nearest the MET and Post a warning notice at the gas meter within 600mm stating where the bond was and care should be taken if alterations are carried out to the gas pipe work to prevent the gas bond from being disconnected. The other option was to run a 50mm earth bond 200 meters which I say is not "reasonable particle"

I had the same conversation with a plumber/ heating engineer I was working with and he came across so strong that he was right - I said ‘or where practicable’ and explained the BS7671 regulation which, let’s face it, carries a bit more weight than a publication that is passed to them on a course!
The trouble is when an installation is failed by a gas engineers on this issue where if they tested would see that bonding was doing its job.
I agree with the warning notice at the meter to alert of the issue and the position of the gas binding.

Reply to Which Publication is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net