Discuss Which RCD to use for EV charging point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't fit EV charging points as I am not OLEV registered. However, I am fitting a Tesla EV charger soon for a friend as I owe him a favour.

The Tesla spec asks for a Type B RCD or Type A-EV RCD.

Looking at Regulation 722.531.2.101 this sates the same as above.

The regulation states a Type A RCD AND appropriate equipment that provides disconnection of the supply in the case of DC fault current above 6mA.

Is this 'equipment' located in specific Type A RCD, or in certain EVCP's, or a seperate piece of equipment?

The tesla wall charger spec says it does not measure DC current leaking.

It sounds easier just to go for a type B RCD but it is difficult to locate one, could any EVCP installers send a link?

Just order one from wholesalers, Doepke appear to be the most used.
BTW TP ones arnt cheap >£400 ... eek
Doepke have good technical documents as well.

True it is not cheap, but then having 3-phase domestic supply and buying a Tesla car is not usually done on a tight budget!
[automerge]1600016647[/automerge]
Doepke also do RCBO with 'type B' DC sensitive trip as well.

Doepke have good technical documents as well.

True it is not cheap, but then having 3-phase domestic supply and buying a Tesla car is not usually done on a tight budget!
[automerge]1600016647[/automerge]
Doepke also do RCBO with 'type B' DC sensitive trip as well.
Could I ask why you've mentioned 3 phase supply @pc1966 ? My friends supply is single phase. Are the tesla chargers only compatible with 3 phase, I wouldn't have thought so?

The DC RCD is in the charger usually. You'll also need specific test equipment to carry out the full compliment of tests and ensure it all works as it should.

Look on the tube, I think smug Jordan has done a video on fitting a Tesla charger

@plugsandsparks @pc1966
Any chance of a link to the exact doepke type b rcd? I'm still struggling to locate it on the net :blush:

I simply cant find any single phase type B RCD's!!

Last edited:
The DC RCD is in the charger usually. You'll also need specific test equipment to carry out the full compliment of tests and ensure it all works as it should.

Look on the tube, I think smug Jordan has done a video on fitting a Tesla charger
The tesla spec does say that the tesla charger does not detect DC leakage.

The tesla spec does say that the tesla charger does not detect DC leakage.
Interesting, one Tesla charger manual I looked at last year seemed to have all the required RCD protection built into the charger, the fault lights would even display exactly the fault condition that caused it to shut down. I don't get involved with EV chargers as it seems like a pain to meet all the installation requirements.

I have found this one, but it is chint which I dislike:

I have also found this

but I am not sure if it is single phase. I never work with 3 phase so do not recognise if the RCD is for 3 phase (as it is rather wide!)

It needs to be 2 pole for SP same size as regular RCCB, you need 40A version and 30mA.

Basically an ordinary AC type rcd can get saturated by DC coming back from the car and thus it will not trip when it should.

I have found this one, but it is chint which I dislike:

I have also found this

but I am not sure if it is single phase. I never work with 3 phase so do not recognise if the RCD is for 3 phase (as it is rather wide!)
It's single phase. They used to do a three phase version with one phase wired through it but I think they got a single phase two pole version later. Either way it doesn't matter - it is configured for single phase. I haven't been able to beat them on price. (I have a trade account with them so pay less than the quoted prices also.)
[automerge]1600022373[/automerge]
Incidentally I would remove the spare circuit breaker and blank it off. In spite of what it suggests it would be non-compliant to connect anything to the other circuit breaker as the RCD (which must interrupt all live conductors) must be dedicated solely to one EVSE and nothing else.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've never come across an RCBO with Type B RCD characteristics - only RCCBs. Do you have a link to these devices?
I don't know if they are offered in the UK/ROI but this is what I remember seeing:

Reply to Which RCD to use for EV charging point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock