Discuss Which replacement LED units should I buy? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LEDNewbie

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I have a problem I’d like some advice on, please. If you just want to know the question please go directly to section B of the following. If you want to know the background/context, please read section A first.

SECTION A – BACKGROUND STORY/CONTEXT:

As will soon become obvious, I’m new to the idea of LED lighting for the home. However, my current home, which I moved in to about a year ago, has LED lights in several rooms. Anyway, yesterday, one of the 3 LED lights in my downstairs toilet blew (it was on – and then there was a “pop” and it went out. I tried to unscrew the cover but, try as I might, I couldn’t get it to come off. No matter, I thought, I’ll just slide the whole “pot” out of the ceiling and, hopefully, it will become obvious how to remove the bulb. I do so and still couldn’t work out how to remove the bulb. I noticed that there were a couple of small screws on the pot so I undid those (which resulted in the “cover” and bulb becoming separated but the bulb is like no other I have ever seen).

I little Googling around and I started to realise that (it seems) this type of unit has to be replaced “all in one” (i.e. the bulb, pot, and driver)! That has to be the most wasteful thing I have ever heard of in my life! Especially since I’ll have to replace all 3 units that are in the toilet (in order for them to match). More landfill!

Anyway, I started looking for alternatives but I just feel swamped. I find the sheer quantity of types and specifications completely baffling!

NB. I appreciate that it may be (in fact, probably is) the driver that has failed rather than the bulb but, as it seems I am going to have to replace the whole unit, I suppose that doesn’t really matter.

SECTION B:

Can anyone tell me what I should buy as (as much as possible) a simple, straightforward swap-out for these units please? The existing ones are “fire-rated” so I’ll want to the replacements to be too. Also, if possible/permissible (i.e. safe), I’d prefer to replace them with units that have removable bulbs (so that I can, in future, replace whichever component fails – bulb or driver – rather than the whole unit).

Attachments

• Which replacement LED units should I buy? Existing (Failed) LED Unit Pic1 - EletriciansForums.net
    Existing (Failed) LED Unit Pic1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Which replacement LED units should I buy? Existing (Failed) LED Unit Pic2 - EletriciansForums.net
    Existing (Failed) LED Unit Pic2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Which replacement LED units should I buy? Existing (Failed) LED Unit Pic3 - The 'Bulb' - EletriciansForums.net
    Existing (Failed) LED Unit Pic3 - The 'Bulb'.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if these would be suitable, please?:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Enlite-E...p/B00LME2WBS/ref=psdc_248566031_t3_B07SQ2ZX59

The existing hole in the ceiling plasterboard is 70mm in diameter.

I have discovered that the failed unit is identical to the units I have in the bathroom (x4) and in a little alcove area at the top of the stairs outside the bathroom (x2). I think the best thing for me to do is replace the LED units in the alcove area (as there are only two) with new units and then use one of the units from the alcove to replace the failed unit in the downstairs toilet. That way, I’ll only have to replace two units rather than three and I’ll have a spare for if/when another unit fails in the downstairs toilet or bathroom. Does that sound sensible?

NB. I note that the above link states “Light Source: 50W GU10” could I use 4w or 3w instead? The area of the alcove is very small and 2 x 50w equivalent sound like it would be far too bright. 2 x 40w (or even 2 x 30w) would sound like a more sensible option (if these fittings allow).

Reply to Which replacement LED units should I buy? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock