Discuss Which result to record?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dbrennan

Hi, I have just re-wired my garage ready for inspection on thursday, there are two things i am unsure about, On the ring main i have a switched fuse spur that feeds two 60w outside lights, when recording results for r1+r2 and zs which results shoud i put on the EIC.
The results for the ring main are .16 but when i take the reading from the outside lights i get .36

When i take the highest zs on the ring main i get .80, when taken from the outside lights i get1.01

I no you always record the highest but as these lights are fed from a switch fused spur should i still be recording these as they are the highest on that circuit??

PS. i no the reading are high thats due to the distance the garage is from the house but all complies with disconnection times etc etc

Thanks

Hi mate..
Im no genius at testing and filling in test forms as i never do them myself....
Could you do the ring main on its on EIC form, and the do an additional minor works for for the light itself..
Just an idea, but someone else to confirm would be handy

You should record the highest values.

The spur and lights are still part of the RFC.

Dont forget your 80%.

You should record the highest values.

The spur and lights are still part of the RFC.

Dont forget your 80%.

Would disagree as he has used a Fusd Spur unit to supply the lights, if you had connected a heater or other appliance from a FSU would you take the Zs of this and record that reading.

As the lights are protect by a BS1362 fuse the max permitted Zs for the lights would be different than the Zs for the ring circuit protected by a 60898 MCB or 61009 RCBO.

Last edited:
Didnt say add.

The 80% of the maximum rule is generally used as this would be the maximum value when the conductor is at operating temperature, and not under no load conditions which the cable would normally be when tested.

:)

Would disagree as he has used a Fusd Spur unit to supply the lights, if you had connected a heater or other appliance from a FSU would you take the Zs of this and record that reading.

As the lights are protect by a BS1362 fuse the max permitted Zs for the lights would be different than the Zs for the ring circuit protected by a 60898 MCB or 61009 RCBO.

I agree there, but as they can be tested, i would.

Probably no point tho as you say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi DB
i've asked the same question to my 2 niceic inspectors.
one said to write down the value of the ringmain the outher one said to right down the highest value including spurs . I choose to write down the ringmain readings but make sure the spur tests out ok.
there is no provision on the form for the spur to be classed as a seperate cicuit .
I still dont no if this is right but judging by your replies i would say every body is a bit confused ?
hope some body knows the answer as i would like to fill out the forms correctly:)

Hi, I have just re-wired my garage ready for inspection on thursday, there are two things i am unsure about, On the ring main i have a switched fuse spur that feeds two 60w outside lights, when recording results for r1+r2 and zs which results shoud i put on the EIC.
The results for the ring main are .16 but when i take the reading from the outside lights i get .36

When i take the highest zs on the ring main i get .80, when taken from the outside lights i get1.01

I no you always record the highest but as these lights are fed from a switch fused spur should i still be recording these as they are the highest on that circuit??

PS. i no the reading are high thats due to the distance the garage is from the house but all complies with disconnection times etc etc

Thanks

I would totally agree with Ian, as the protective device for the lights is the fused spur, which means the Zs for the lights is a seperate issue from the Zs for the RFC, I would put the fused spur circuit details immediately under the RFC on the test results.

Beware of the 80% rule of thumb, dont forget this only applies to BS7671 figures as the OSG and GN3 are already corrected, if its a 32A type B it will be as far I can remember 1.44 in the regs x.8 = 1.15

Reply to Which result to record?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock