Discuss Which training route to take? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gr33nsock

Hi all,

I am after a bit of advice, to give a bit a of background i am currently in the army (logistics for 7 years) and am looking to come out and re-train as a spark, i am undecided which training route to take.

There is a 20 week intensive course running in Dartford (ableskills) which at the end of i could have the C&G 2357 + AM2, or do i go down what i believe is know as the domestic installer route, 17th edition, part p, 2392 and all that jazz.

Before the army i was on my way to being fully corgi registered but i don't want to go back to gas, however im confident ive got the skills to become a good electrician.

i know eventually im gonna need all of the above but in terms of employment and the experience im going to get from the employment which is the best way to go, bearing in mind i need to start work asap as i have a family to provide for.

any advice would be much appreciated!!

hi there welcome to the forum
the 2357 is a new course coming out next year which is suposed to be the same as the current qualifications: 2330,am2,2356(nvq3)
this qualification2357 you will need a job for and in the current climate isnt easy.!.
20 week intensive courses cost the world and at the end no real employer will give you a job.
domestic installer route costs alot to start.and part p is a regulation not a qualification

-the best way to go whatever you choose is to get some experiance of work first and then decide which sector you go into not go get the quals to go into something and then find out you hate it and have to retrain.

cheers for quick the reply!!

I know i wont hate the work but basically I need to choose my career path as the army will pay for courses as part of a resettlement. i do know that for the 2357 you need to complete performance parts and get evaluated on the job and i know from mates in trades that fast trackers or somewhat frowned upon, so perhaps im best going down the domestic installer route and doing the 2357 in slow time??

unfortualnty i dont have the luxury of getting any experience, im going to need to start earning quickly!!

yeh it is but i could then hopefully get a job as a mate, gain some experience. i just need to be earning something, not a lot!

Really i suppose what im asking is which are the best courses to gain employment so i can start learning the trade on the job!

mate seriosly there is no quick way of becoming a real electrician yess you can do these fast courses and be on less then working at tescos for someone else but you wont get anywhere.
as a mate with no experiance you wont be looking more then 300 a week max.
if your courses are being paid for you i would suggest getting the 17th to start.2382

cheers for the advice mate, i know u dont get nothing in life easily just wanna know the best way to break into the trade!! thanks again for the advice!! will look futher into it

Reply to Which training route to take? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net