Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Apparently he doesn't really like speaking to the public much, according to his book. He even goes events now where people wont expect him. And does cycling races in places people wont go (in the highlands etc) so that he doesn't get hounded. He doesn't do the TT since he got a bit famous because people seem to expect him to sign autographs and he isn't there for that, so he says.
This is very true, it was a motorcycling event in Scotland in early may. He was exactly as you described.

Nissan Patrol TD6-last of the straight six line- has had 500Kg on top of it,1500Kg in it,and 18000Kg behind it...Oh,and i'll sign anybodies autograph book...:cheesy:

You can't really expect to be on TV and not have people ask for your signature eh?
I think what most folk found odd was that he was guest of honour at the event and never really interacted with anybody in anyway.
Everybody to their own I guess.

all i care about is it gets me and my gear from a to b in reasonable comfort and costs nowt in repairs. sod the "plate" snobbery.

Boo hoo all I care about is I get to a-b, no mot's, good on fuel, cheap tax, 3 year warranty included, good Safty features. My days of running old motors is over. Don't want the lads moaning about the van.

Vans I feel are a fine line. I think it's important to have something that looks the part and sells a professional image, but at the same time you don't want something that says you're drawing a squillion quid a month.

That said, I currently drive a 55 plate kangoo. It does the job for someone early in their career like me. Keep saying I'll upgrade it when I have a business that can pay for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Boo hoo all I care about is I get to a-b, no mot's, good on fuel, cheap tax, 3 year warranty included, good Safty features. My days of running old motors is over. Don't want the lads moaning about the van.

mot? 1/2 hour and £30. rubber stamp pass, but then it's a toyota, innit?

Vans I feel are a fine line. I think it's important to have something that looks the part and sells a professional image, but at the same time you don't want something that says you're drawing a squillion quid a month.

That said, I currently drive a 55 plate kangoo. It does the job for someone early in their career like me. Keep saying I'll upgrade it when I have a business that can pay for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This topic has been thrashed out a few times and always yields different views.

The top and bottom for me is you have different types of tradesmen with different types of customers.
Example 1
Electrician who is happy earning a few hundred pound a week and happy to run about in an old beat up van and if they were to stretch to getting a new shiny van this would raise a few eyebrows from their tight customers.

Example 2
Electrician who wants to build up a company with staff / office/ several vehicles and works for large reputable companies who wouldn't blink if they all rolled up in new vehicles because they do the same. plus a new van is a sensible business. tax benefit if the company is making decent profit.

Example 3
Electrician who has everthing that Electrician 2 has but just doesn't see the need to drive a new van.

Now I like to think I am Electrician number 2, but would never dream of judgeing number 1 or 3.
Every one does things differently and each are entitled to do what they want I just believe that a Van is what earns you money from carrying all your gear and gets you to each job safely and in comfort so should be one of the biggest investments you make as a tradesman.

The above is my opinion only.

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net