Discuss Whining noise from multiple sockets ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LewisM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello, I fitted some extra sockets in a bedroom two years ago, and the customer has said that 2 of the sockets make a high pitched whining noise, all tested at the time readings fine etc, I've attached a video, doesn't sound like arcing to me as it's not a crackling sound? I've told them not to use the sockets for now until I can have a look on Sunday, I can't see how two sockets could have gone faulty any ideas?

Well went there today, everything tested fine ZS wise L-N L-PE however voltage was 251V, the charger wasn't making the noise when I was there (as usual), they said it happens more at night, I've left my fluke there and told them to plug it in when the charger makes the noise and send me a picture of the voltage.

Mate that's the plug itself that they have plugged in. Them cheap things always start whining after a while. My phone charger is always doing it.

Also it might whine once the phone is charged and the load drops, so only later on or unplugged.

A lot of switching converters can vary the mark:space duty cycle to regulate the power over a moderate range and switch in the 100kHz or more range so are inadudible, but when the load drops down they can't reduce the "on" time enough so start to operate in a burst mode and that might put the burst rate in to the human hearing range.

Reply to Whining noise from multiple sockets ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, Looking for help here as I've come across a strange call-out today. Bare with me here: Got a call from a customer saying they had...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, For clarity, I'm not a qualified electrician, but have a reasonable amount of experience as I've done plenty of wiring (signed off by a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was speaking to a family member recently, he told me his iron recently made a bang and flash as he plugged it in to the socket, and could...
Replies
Views
Hello there, we are wanting two new double sockets in our kitchen, one will be below counter to accommodate gas hob and ovens ignition plugs...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock