Discuss Whirlpool bath in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gra426

Hi All,

Looking for a little advice. I have a whirlpool bath to fit and was wondering about the best way to do it. The bath in question has a 1 hp motor and led lighting. It is not on site yet but I wanted to pull the cables in prior to it arriving. Previously when I have fitted whirlpools I have done it via a fused spur from the ring (RCD protected) outside the bathroom then fed the motor from a flex outlet under the bath providing a bath panel is fixed.

My question is more about the lighting aspect asi have not dealt with this before. I'm assuming it will not be connected into the cable enclosure for the motor and have its own flex. In my mind this means either connecting it into the flex outlet for the motor or bringing in a seperate feed from outside the room. My reservations about connecting to the flex outlet would be that a single lamp would then be connected to a 5 amp fuse the same as the motor. I could fit a two way enclosure outside with MCB's but that seems loike a bit of overkill.

I was wondering if anybody has had similar experience and how they adressed it.

Cheers.
Gra.

Download the installation manual for the whirlpool and have a read of it. It should recommend how they want it installing.

the 5A fuse protects the cable to the lamp. not the lamp itself. as long as thye cable will withstand 5A+, then no worries. dont forget that every light pendant in a house is on a 5A fuse or 6A MCB. (generally).

Thanks for the replies,

Spoon, I have downloaded the manual which gives the requirement for the whirlpool but does not mention the additional factory fitted light.

Telectrix, Good point about the lighting. I am guessing the light will be on a flex of at least .75mm which could carry enough current to be protected by the 5 amp fuse.

Might ring the manufacturer though before doing the wiring to see if they have a spec for the light.

Cheers.

Cheers.

under the bath should be the driest place in the bathroom, though.

Not if you shop at the Bathstore. Was on a job where two whirlpools went in on the trot and both leaked! Customer gave up and got money back in the end.

Reply to Whirlpool bath in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net