Discuss Whirlpool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please?

I'm looking to install a whirlpool bath pump in a domestic bathroom.

The instructions say I have to wire the system independently, but I was hoping to spur off the domestic socket circuit in an adjoining bedroom too a fused switch outside the bathroom. Is this OK? The consumer unit is at the other side of the house!

I've searched these threads, and the only reference I can see condoning using a separate supply refers to the possibility that the motor might cause nuisance tripping? In that case should I use a second RCCB in-line with the fused switch?

I'd be obliged for any clarification.

In another life, Murdoch. I got my sjib grade card back in '79 but gave up the tools about 12 years back when my life took another direction. I'm currently in the process of registering for BS7671 and ECS H&S Assessment.

In re-reading the instructions it says " ... must be wired independently. Do not use the same power supply as other appliances" Which I read as, don't loop the supply from a towel-rail, heater, shower, etc.

I fully intend complying with the manufacturers instructions, i'm just not sure if i'm interpreting them correctly and wondered if someone could help me clarify.

instructions a bit ambiguous. i suppose if you wire a FCU off the RFC, that's independent. that's how i would do it. 3A FCU .

Cheers, Guys.

There is a 1100w water pump, and a 350w airblower - both at 240v

Is a combined RCD/FCU such as the Volex 13A RCD FCU an option?

Again, really appreciate your help :)

oops, a bit over my 3A. the only problem you'll have with a RCD FCU is no discrimination with the existing RCD in the CU ( assuming that the RFC is on RCD)

As Tele says, but would suggest a 10A fuse in the FCU. I'm guessing you've checked the bonding?? and this is notifiable too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again. Is there any reason why the pump's should cause nuisance tripping. Isn't it much the same scenario with a dishwasher motor, or washing machine - even a vacuum cleaner?

use a double pole FCU, then it can be isolated. should not cause nuisance tripping unless faulty. might have some leakage ( of water) if a plumber has fitted the thing.

I'm guessing you've checked the bonding??

To be honest, I only got a quick sneak peak this afternoon. The original bath has been taken away and the new whirlpool bath is in situ but not fixed down or plumbed in yet. In my days we ran a separate 6mm earth to the bathroom and kitchen, so I'm assuming that is there and I just didn't notice it. The house itself is only about 10 years old.

To be honest, I only got a quick sneak peak this afternoon. The original bath has been taken away and the new whirlpool bath is in situ but not fixed down or plumbed in yet. In my days we ran a separate 6mm earth to the bathroom and kitchen, so I'm assuming that is there and I just didn't notice it. The house itself is only about 10 years old.

He's not talking about that bonding, he's on about the equipotential bonding of the gas/water supplies.

If the CU has a 30ma RCD and the gas/water supplies are bonded back to the CU in 10mm cable (if it's a TNCS suply) then all you need do is add an FCU to the nearest ring outside of the bathroom and fuse it down to whatever your load works out to.........simples!

If there isn't an RCD in the CU then you can add a combined RCD/FCU as you already suggested instead of the standard FCU. You still need to check the bonding though.

Reply to Whirlpool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock