Discuss Who can change a socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JamesUK

Hello

Can someone give me clarity on who can change a wall power socket? I assuming I can change my own without qualification but can I change a friends?

Is the only requirement to do it in accordance with the building regulations?

James

if replacing like for like e.g. a socket front or light switch, without alteration to the circuit, anyone can do it. be sure to isolate the supply before starting.

If it is a replacement for a broken/faulty socket,then there is no law stopping anybody from changing it,no matter if your house or your friends.Its what is classed as maintenance.

No Mr Brown I do not mate. I know I'm in a minority of one here but my way keeps my bottom covered just in case.
Have you and I not had this conversation once or twice already :)

No Mr Brown I do not mate. I know I'm in a minority of one here but my way keeps my bottom covered just in case.
Have you and I not had this conversation once or twice already :)

Hi Trev,
I'm not aware of having this conversation with you before?? Maybe you're mistaking me for some other handsome devil :devil: or maybe my Alzheimers is setting in faster than I had thought :mad2:

However, whilst I understand where you are coming from, I don't see how you can justify to a customer the extra time involved, and thereby expense, that the requisite tests that issuing a MEIWC requires. I would think that the cost difference to a customer between simply doing a like for like change and doing a one and being able to legitimately issue a cert, would be at least double.

Just how I feel, but no doubt others will feel differently.

Cheers

Hi Trev,
I'm not aware of having this conversation with you before?? Maybe you're mistaking me for some other handsome devil :devil: or maybe my Alzheimers is setting in faster than I had thought :mad2:

However, whilst I understand where you are coming from, I don't see how you can justify to a customer the extra time involved, and thereby expense, that the requisite tests that issuing a MEIWC requires. I would think that the cost difference to a customer between simply doing a like for like change and doing a one and being able to legitimately issue a cert, would be at least double.

Just how I feel, but no doubt others will feel differently.

Cheers
Come on, you have to do the tests anyway so why not spend an extra 5 minutes filling out a minor works? It makes you look a bit more professional and if it ever went in front of a bloke in a gown and a wig it covers your bottom.
Win win imho

The regs say a MEIWC may be used for the replacement of of equipment such as accessories or luminaires, not that it must be used and that inspection and testing must be appropriate to the work undertaken.

Obviously, if a like for like replacement is done because of an obvious fault, it would be judicious to proceed differently than if the change was merely cosmetic.

Cheers

Ok so your customer wants a change from white plastic sockets and switches to nice shiny chrome ones, you bowl up turn off the juice and start to change things. When finished at each outlet you bolt them back.
Before you re energise you're going to test to make sure IR is still ok and polarity is still right. Then just to make sure you have an earth at each point , you're going to take Ze
See where I'm going here? and please don't think I'm being a sanctimonious ----er here because that is not my intention.

The regs say a MEIWC may be used for the replacement of of equipment such as accessories or luminaires, not that it must be used and that inspection and testing must be appropriate to the work undertaken.

Obviously, if a like for like replacement is done because of an obvious fault, it would be judicious to proceed differently than if the change was merely cosmetic.

Cheers

Are you sure that you have the correct context?
Could it be that an MWEIC may be used rather than an EIC.

Just out of curiosity...

When asked to change a broken socket for a new one, what do you do if there is no main equipotential bonding in place? And no 30ma RCD protection for said socket outlet, clearly possible for use outdoors and clearly embedded in wall less than 50mm?

Ok so your customer wants a change from white plastic sockets and switches to nice shiny chrome ones, you bowl up turn off the juice and start to change things. When finished at each outlet you bolt them back.
Before you re energise you're going to test to make sure IR is still ok and polarity is still right. Then just to make sure you have an earth at each point , you're going to take Ze
See where I'm going here? and please don't think I'm being a sanctimonious ----er here because that is not my intention.

I certainly don't think that, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you are certainly not alone in your views...

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...rum/33124-testing-after-like-like-change.html

I guess I'm just thinking that on certain jobs the extra work required could really add to the cost the customer is going to end up paying, and prehaps with 'like for like' replacements more than any other jobs, it is often difficult to convince the customer that you are simply doing the correct thing and not just trying to inflate the job and rip them off. I am however, starting to come around to your way of thinking :yesnod: Maybe I should only worry about those extra difficult jobs when they actually happen, not before I've even got there.

Cheers

Just out of curiosity...

When asked to change a broken socket for a new one, what do you do if there is no main equipotential bonding in place? And no 30ma RCD protection for said socket outlet, clearly possible for use outdoors and clearly embedded in wall less than 50mm?

Well I would say you are required to ensure bonding is in place, but that the non-rcd issue is not one which I need to worry about.

Alterations and additions in domestic and similar premises : Electrical Safety Council

Specifically, Q8

Cheers

yes, but the sodket's got to want to change.

Reply to Who can change a socket? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock