Discuss Who is responsible for the ryefield board? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KUDUKU

Who is responsible for the Ryefield board ? I own a property flat in London and I contacted recently my electrical supplier to make a full investigation based on extremely high bills. A technician came around and asked me where the main fuse or ryefield board was to disconnect the meter. We found it outside the property inside a cement cupboard with a little door. Inside there was a wooden panel with 2 plugs and a box with the fuses. The panel suppose to be fixed to the wall but instead was hanging and being supported just by a plastic cone, like the ones used for traffic or diversions.

The technician did not want to touch suck old and precarious board installation for safety. My electrical supplier contacted UK power networks who is the company which owns the cables and electrical network but they refused to change or modify the ryefield board with the excuse that they are not the owners of that part and therefore not responsible for any repairs.
The electrical supplier also refuse to take responsibility. My question is who is really the owner or responsible for that board? The board is not inside my property but 3-4 metres away in a cupboard so I guess the electrical UK network company installed there when the houses were built. These houses are divided in 2 flats upper and lower flat. Each board provide 2 flats so every building have the same cupboard outside the property. Does anyone knows who is the responsible of this main board or ryefield board outside the house based in UK law?
Thanks

I would say the landlord is responsible. I have been involved with a few 12-18 storey tower blocks and the landlord has been responsible for rewiring of the lateral mains including the ryefield boards.
The meters was installed between the ryefield boards and flat and LEB were only responsible for their meter and not any cabling or install.
Its a tricky question but now with all posibilites covered by the other posts and mine you will still be none the wiser.
Welcome to the world of electrics.

Disagree, do you pay a maintenance charge to a company? Freehold or leasehold?

Thanks for your reply
  1. We are getting crazy trying to discover who is the responsible and owner of that electrical main board .... the uk power network call it raiving main and our electrical supplier called ryefield board.
  2. The equipment is outside our property inside one cement cabinet with a door. See photos attached.
  3. The main electrical cables from underground are conected to this panel and from there cables go to each flat underground too. This cabinet is next to the pavement out side the our properties.
  4. What I know for sure now is that the state of that main panel is precarious and water could easily get in contact with the panel if touch the floor in fraining season. We just have been lucky that nothing happened yet. None os my neighbours were aware of that board as none of them consider is part of their property.
  5. Any ideas?
  6. IMG_0572.JPGIMG_0573.JPG

What a mess,you are right to be concerned,that looks very dangerous

I may be changing my opinion if I have pictured the set up correctly
The technician works for the metering company
The meter in your flat belongs to the metering company
The supply responsibility will be with a network supplier

No one wants to claim ownership of the supply end
Let these people sort the argument out
Ombudsman Services: Energy

Couldn`t you plead that it is a dangerous situation (like a code 1 on pir`s) and needs immediate attention? That may get the "attention" of whoever owns it....liability etc........

The 4 grey rectangle boxes contain the main cut out fuses, and the whole of this grey unit is your service head and 100% your electricity suppliers responsibility. This looks like it is not fixed securley to the wall and needs fixing which only they can do, their cable looks a bit short too with not much slack visable but thats not the issue now.
The metal trunking above the service head would in my opinion be the landlords responsibility.
The ryefield board where the electricity company connect their supply into is the landlords responsibility in my opinion. Everything going out of the ryefield is the landlords responsibility.
This is assuming you are a lease holder tenant and this service head feeds the other flats.
I feel your landlord is required to put his hand in his pocket and get this fixed. I believe he would have paid for the cable from the ryefield to the meters to be installed also.
Its a simple job to fix. Just need to find a good installation spark.
Regarding your high bills, old fridges can cost a lot to run and electric showers can cost about £1 a day (roughly assuming you have only 1, 5 minnute shower shower a day). electric heaters cost lots too. Dont know if thats any help. Good Luck and be prepard to have a few fun days.

Reply to Who is responsible for the ryefield board? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net