Discuss Who knew? You have to connect your own energy suppliers meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Extraordinary day. Five hours on the phone with SSE (is it me?) Trying to get new supply connected. Meter already there just need connecting/energising. Yesterday arranged 8:30 a.m. next day connection (today). Engineer attended and informed me; "you have to connect these meters yourself we can't touch them" Although they have SSE emblazoned on them. Anyone else come across these meters?

Extraordinary day. Five hours on the phone with SSE (is it me?) Trying to get new supply connected. Meter already there just need connecting/energising. Yesterday arranged 8:30 a.m. next day connection (today). Engineer attended and informed me; "you have to connect these meters yourself we can't touch them" Although they have SSE emblazoned on them. Anyone else come across these meters?

SSE used to fit self-connect meters. They incorporate an isolator operated by a quarter turn with a screwdriver and have a seperately sealed terminal cover for the incoming supply.

I assume SSE still fit the same meters, do you have a picture of it?

They don't connect your tails because then they might become liable for connecting an unsafe installation or something like that.

Personally I have always found SSE to be the easiest DNO to deal with, but I guess it depends who you get.
[automerge]1596742403[/automerge]
Found a picture, the white slotted screw head in the cover is the isolator,push and turn as per the label above it to isolate (off load and SP isolation only)
The red cover under the clear one seals the incoming terminals.
Who knew? You have to connect your own energy suppliers meter s-l400 - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1596743183[/automerge]
I have encountered another type of meter with an isolator incorporated, made by Siemens iirc. The isolator was a switch toggle under the terminal cover, but the cover was sealed in the normal way so pretty pointless in my opinion.

Last edited:
I can't really blame SSE. It was my fault. Have not come across this before and had to get the supply on. Connected the tails no problem. No power at the tails though. Although power was going in. Phoned SSE and asked to speak to the engineer but could not! Got passed from department to department with one hour waits. So just worked while waiting. In desperation in the end I took a more careful look at the meter and found the switch you are talking about. Easy when you know how isn't it. SSE phoned me and said they cannot help as it is a self connect for the reasons you say. First time I ever came across this, added to my superstitious fear of touching the meter/DNO equipment. Just passing it on really to alert others to the simplicity of it all. Might have helped if the engineer had told me.
[automerge]1596743446[/automerge]
Oh and by the way the time on the phone was all due to a massive mix-up on the MPAN number as it was three phase and three meters, so complete confusion between new connections and reconnections, as well as it being a company owned building listed as commercial but flats being domestic so got to speak to every department in SSE today.

These self connect meters are fecking brilliant. So much easier when the head and meter can be fitted at any time without an electrician having to be present.

Only ever come across it once though. I think only one energy provider use them round here that I know of. Anyone that subs out meter fitting to edf certainly doesn’t!

SSE sound decent. UKPN and EDF (often seem to do meters round here) are an absolute nightmare to deal with. UKPN especially are a complete shambles.

I recently did a job where UKPN refused me PME as the EFLI was too high! I tested it at 0.25. He was adamant his meter came back with 0.39.

Meant I had to put an RCD on a sub main serving the whole house ffs.

They are convenient to the Electrician, most times they are installed before first fix etc, the down side you dont see whats connected to the meter.I have seen 25mm tails in excess of 20meters in flexible duct connected to these meters, when a sub main should have been installed.

I remember you would provide a test cert and the EMEB ot MEB would check the installation and then connect you
[automerge]1596833308[/automerge]
or
Yes back in the day before privatisation, test and connect was standard for new connections all part of the connection fee. They were called meter inspectors.They got payed a bit more than the meter fixer doing already commissioned meter changes, because of the extra testing involved.

Last edited:
The smart meter project has been a complete screw up really. Not something I have had any real dealing with, but having read about:
  • Needing a new meter to switch supplier (due to incompatibility with billing systems or whatever!)
  • Issue of connectivity depending on out-going 2G, and then needing a new meter (instead of USB dongle upgrade or whatever) for that.
  • Cyber security (or the lack of) from the start
  • Sold to customers about saving power, except most will only do a little to beginning with and then decide they actually like 10 min in a shower, washing clothes several times a week, etc, etc.
When my own Ferranti meter needed replacing after 30 years I asked for a non-smart meter and no problems, despite getting letters for a couple of years about how good a smart meter would be, saving I could make, etc.

So a lack of built-in isolator in the spec is just one thing. Having them disconnect on out-of-volts would be another "smart" thing they could do to reduce PME fault damage to electrics, etc.

Anyone know if they do a staggered switch-on after the DNO supply comes up? (Like some UPS allow you to randomise the turn-on delay so you don't get a horrendous surge when the supply comes back, etc.)

SSE used to fit self-connect meters. They incorporate an isolator operated by a quarter turn with a screwdriver and have a seperately sealed terminal cover for the incoming supply.

I assume SSE still fit the same meters, do you have a picture of it?

They don't connect your tails because then they might become liable for connecting an unsafe installation or something like that.

Personally I have always found SSE to be the easiest DNO to deal with, but I guess it depends who you get.
[automerge]1596742403[/automerge]
Found a picture, the white slotted screw head in the cover is the isolator,push and turn as per the label above it to isolate (off load and SP isolation only)
The red cover under the clear one seals the incoming terminals.
View attachment 59968
[automerge]1596743183[/automerge]
I have encountered another type of meter with an isolator incorporated, made by Siemens iirc. The isolator was a switch toggle under the terminal cover, but the cover was sealed in the normal way so pretty pointless in my opinion.
Iskra do the meters with inbuilt isolators as well. The ESB use them (although sometimes they install a separate isolator with allen key terminals/switch.) The Contractor is required to seal it after connecting the meter tails.

Last edited:

Reply to Who knew? You have to connect your own energy suppliers meter in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock