Discuss Who needs a VDE screwdriver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well he's quick..

My missus says I'm a fast electrician... but that's a story I don't want to get into...

A subby when i was a first year apprentice did all his sockets with a drill, never used a hand held screwdriver, never though much of it at the time.

Last year i saw a lad change a full 8 way TP DB with just a impact driver, didnt shorten or lengthen the cables or anything, it was a sight to behold.

I used to work with a guy who would use his impact to do consumer units , in a year I reckon he utterly destroyed over 100 mcbs and rcbos.
a little piece of me died every time I saw a perfectly good rcbo hit the skip after he shredded the terminals

Impact drivers are overkill I never use them has anybody ever stripped a job out and just about every screw you undo the head snaps off =Impacter

I have been on a few jobs now and the project manager specifys no impacters allowed.

Yes for doing up fixings such as 10mm bolts and nipping up ladderack for speed and tightness, no for everything else.

A few months ago I spent about 4 hours close to a bloke constantly using an impact driver, couldn't think straight and in the end I could have dropped it [and its owner] from a great height. :mad:

An impact drill has it's uses , tightening electrical connections is not one of them .
Putting 8 x 1 1/2s into joists IS one of them!
I worked with a noob who wanted to do up all the 3.5s with a cordless screwdriver until I told him that the high chances of stripping every thread and having to repair them put him off and he went back to a screwdriver!

Used to be an electrician (and I use the term electrician loosely) where I used to work used a cordless/impact overtightened the screws and stripped the 3.5's.

Surely most 2nd fix gear is abit outdated tho? I would be happier to see more push fit terminals or lever terminals.

Suppose it wouldnt work when people try cramming 4 lives into a sw
That's fine if the quality is there , some of the light fittings already have them . Powerforce ( I think that is the correct name) showers used them year and years ago . They are nothing new.

I remember my college lecturer saying that when someone was urging him on to be quicker his response would be that it
takes as long as it takes..
Don't rush it and do it properly he would say.
Impact or battery drivers for terminating cables is not something I would do. I occasionally use a 12V Bosch for loosening all the screws first but that's about it.

Reply to Who needs a VDE screwdriver in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net