Discuss Who supplies rubber gaskets for 2 gang sockets? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to fit compressible rubber or neoprene gaskets between 12 Hager 2 gang stainless steel flat sockets. The gaskets are needed because the wall has small marble mosaic tiles that have slight unevenness and grout indentations and I would like to minimise risk of water ingress. Must look professional - not a bodge.

I've looked online but can't find anything suitable apart from very expensive Hoyles ones that are £4 each. The sockets do not need spacing out, so things like 7mm or 10mm spacer rings are no use.

I only need them at about 1 or 2mm thick (absolute maximum 4mm). Standard double socket size, ideally with screw holes locators. If necessary I will have to buy some rubber and make them, but if anyone can suggest where I can buy them I would be grateful.

Would neoprene tape not do?

No. Tried that, I don't want it stuck to the wall or socket, and it is difficult to get it looking really neat especially around the rounded corners of the Hager metal sockets. But anyway, I find it compresses to nothing - not firm enough.

Can you post a pic of the sockets and surroundings, to give us more of a picture of what is there.

I suppose clear/white silicon won't look good?

I need to fit compressible rubber or neoprene gaskets between 12 Hager 2 gang stainless steel flat sockets. The gaskets are needed because the wall has small marble mosaic tiles that have slight unevenness and grout indentations and I would like to minimise risk of water ingress. Must look professional - not a bodge.
Is there likely to be much water splashes etc near these sockets?

Is there likely to be much water splashes etc near these sockets?
No. Not really. All of the sockets are well away from water or steam but I think there is a slight risk that condensation could run down the cold tiles on the wall. The reason for the gaskets is largely aesthetic really. I don't normally need them, but the marble mosaic tiling just results in a few very little gaps here and there around each socket and does not look perfect. If necessary I will cut my own from neoprene sheet, but it is stupidly wasteful and surprisingly difficult to do a really neat job. Click sell plates which are for their own sockets and I have ordered some now to see if they might do what I want.

This is par for the course with flate plate accessories. They only really look the part on perfectly flat surfaces, which are few and far between - even on newly plastered walls.

Yes, thank you. I found the Hoyles ones, but I couldn't fathom out what the material is or the thickness of it. They seemed very expensive for what I want. I called them this morning anyway and they couldn't tell me what the spec actually is as even they get a 404 error on their website. But they also said the lead time is 6 weeks. I can't wait that long for a trivial job. I need the kitchen signed off shortly and I don't really want to remove all of the sockets to fit gaskets, after the sigh off. Oh well, if the Click ones (16p each or something) don't do the job I will make a template and cut some out with a scalpel. Rubber is available next day from Amazon. Thanks for your help. I am a bit amazed that such a thing is not readily available.

It's not your fault that the wall isn't flat enough to suit the sockets that have been picked. Are you charging for this extra work?

🤣 Actually it is my fault! It's in my house and I did the marble mosaic tiling, largely because it was Covid lockdown time and trades around here are fully backed up doing about 2000+ new builds at top speed. It is actually pretty flat and even on a proper backer board, and there are full depth boxes and metal trunking put in my me. There has to be a degree of acceptance that I am married to my customer in this instance, and she has said "get rid of those imperfections"!

🤣 Actually it is my fault! It's in my house and I did the marble mosaic tiling, largely because it was Covid lockdown time and trades around here are fully backed up doing about 2000+ new builds at top speed. It is actually pretty flat and even on a proper backer board, and there are full depth boxes and metal trunking put in my me. There has to be a degree of acceptance that I am married to my customer in this instance, and she has said "get rid of those imperfections"!

Aha, rumbled! Yeah fair enough though.

Reply to Who supplies rubber gaskets for 2 gang sockets? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net