Discuss Who's been using Megger's 1730 MFT? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CRiMiNaLNiNJa

Hey peeps, looking at the new 1730 MFT from Megger, currently using the 1553.

Just wanted to know if any of you are using it and what you think?

Also interested in the no trip test speed, is it much faster??? How long do the batteries last...etc.

Any info would be much appreciated.

hi i just bought the 1730 but im finding it difficult to bluetooth results.By that i mean i am just practicing at home with it doing tests on my own house and trying to blue tooth the results to the cert on my computer i can do this one at a time but i have been testing say, a whole circuit and cannot send the results all at once or do a lot of circuits and then send them to the cert if you can only send the results one at a time then its a pile of expensive c$$p no doubt i will send in back if it doesnt please. I also cant send results one at a time from downstairs to the cert upstairs is the bluetooth technology that poor . The instructions for downloading are very vague or maybe its me being impatient i have other questions about subtracting ze but thats for another time bring back my good old 1502

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know if the 2 wire no trip test works and if the readings vary so much like the older 1500 series no trip tests

True, would be a bit scary doing it on a big installation for the first time!

I seem to get pretty consistent results from my 1553 when doing no trip??? Tho i do consistently get less than 0.01Ohms at origin, on almost every main board i do?!?!? Where all my Fluke buddies seem to get a more reasonable Ze.

Three people on my course have 2 x 1730 and 1 x 1720 and are in dialogue with Megger. There appear to be issues with readings which are different to the old model. Megger explain this say stating that the 1700 is more accurate hence the readings differ from the 1500 series. The other problem seems to be that they randomly trip rcds. As I understand it - Megger admit they have an issue and are looking into it. I was going to go for a Megger but am now looking at the Fluke 1654 in view of these problems.

Three people on my course have 2 x 1730 and 1 x 1720 and are in dialogue with Megger. There appear to be issues with readings which are different to the old model. Megger explain this say stating that the 1700 is more accurate hence the readings differ from the 1500 series. The other problem seems to be that they randomly trip rcds. As I understand it - Megger admit they have an issue and are looking into it. I was going to go for a Megger but am now looking at the Fluke 1654 in view of these problems.

Very helpful info, cheers, looks like i may have to wait a while see what happens!

Hey guy's,
Thanks for the info, just in the Market to buy a MFT and it's a real ---- up between the 1720/ fluke 1654 or the metrel MI 3105. Guess il give megger a miss unless anyone has any better suggestions ??

I started back with a company I worked with a few years ago as their new test engineer, they went and bought me a brand new 1730, pda, laptop and amtech software,
day one testing a lighting circuit zs and the 500mA fuse blows
day two resting tripping times on a 61009 30ma sucker circuit 500mA fuse blows! Trying to explain that to the boss was fun, got the old 1553 out and it worked treat!.They've since replaced 1730 for a new one and it has worked a treat, the max zs which saves the highest reading is a nice feature but it still does take a while and no trip tests and rcd two lead test and also handy, I never liked the flukes constantly brought up noisy earths and other small issues

Can anyone with a 1730 please help me?

When the 1730 is charging does it automatically turn off? Or does it turn off when it is fully charged?

I picked up one about 6months ago, went to charge it now and turns off after a few minutes.

Hi gigawatt, it charges even though the tester is off and it doesn't indicate that it is charging - it got me a couple of weeks back!

Leave it on charge overnight and turn it on tomorrow - the battery indicator on the screen should be full.

Reply to Who's been using Megger's 1730 MFT? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net