Discuss Why am I getting a 420v supply from the power grid to my home when it should be 220v. All my applicances blew last night in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Why am I measuring 420v across the Live and Neutral feed into my home, when it should be 220v. My appliances have all blown

Have any of your neighbours had similar problems?

Have you contacted the supply company?

Classic symptoms of a broken N connection between supply transformer and yourself.
Call the emergency number for electricity supply company.

Classic symptoms of a broken N connection between supply transformer and yourself.
Call the emergency number for electricity supply company.
James, could you explain a little please? If the neutral is broken there is no return path so where does the 420V come from between L-N?

Ok, for instance the transformer feeds 4 wire, 3 phase and N down a row of poles a mile long, at the end of that run there are 3 houses.
Each house uses a different phase and the same N.
All works well, N is bonded to 0v , normally the star point of the transformer windings. max of 240v from the star point to each phase conductor

If the N cable breaks along that mile run, the houses at the end of the run are still sharing the same N connection but now it is not tied to 0v
Depending on what loads are connected to each phase, the N voltage will drift towards the phase voltage of the phase with the lowest resistance load on it.
The effect is that the N conductor voltage floats seemingly at random from 0 to 400v relative to a phase voltage. (0 to 240v relative to earth)

It is more common to happen in rural locations where the supply cables are separate and 1 can be broken without affecting the other cables, but it is not unheard of in towns etc.

If you end up with a farmer on the phone saying can you have a look at my electrics, the lights keep going bright and then dim as if they are possessed, tell them to turn everything off immediately before things start to go bang!!

Reply to Why am I getting a 420v supply from the power grid to my home when it should be 220v. All my applicances blew last night in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock