Discuss Why are all storage heater replacements on the top floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What happens to a storage heater to warrant completely replacing it?

I’ve never yet come across one that can’t be repaired, after all there’s only a handful of parts in them.

I’ve never yet come across one that can’t be repaired, after all there’s only a handful of parts in them.

Correct...i did a Newlec unit,for a mature family friend,who used to walk me to junior school:)

All it needed was an element,and a good vacuuming.

Not bad,after 30+ years of service.

I have replaced one unit where I could not find a replacement element; Googled it and rang around but had no luck. I even posted on here about it at the time.

In the instance in my previous post above it was a full refurb Dave, and the owner wanted more modern looking units, plus one extra unit / cct installing. Plus this particular customer just lurves spending money!

I prefer to replace parts only if I can help it.

dont the bricks inside storage heaters lose some of their heat holding capacity over time?

wish we could just leave the old bricks with the tenants

we deal mainly with landlords so they tend to replace whole units rather than have us spend time investigating and repairing

alot of tenenants dont understand the off peak side of things either, the amount of callouts we get for "broken heaters" turn out to be they are fed from off peak!

Have replaced many a storage heater with a modern panel heater at the request of the boss; I'm interested on opinions as to which work more efficiently

Electric heating elements are as close to 100% efficient as you can get, so in terms of actual efficiency they are not noticeably different.
Storage heaters are cheaper to run though.

Have replaced many a storage heater with a modern panel heater at the request of the boss; I'm interested on opinions as to which work more efficiently
Communal stair well ? Hot air rises ,they get the hottest .
(Chemistry takes over,Air eats them faster)
or...Sods law my favourite bit of science (-Like 42)
i feel like sods law, was half tempted to throw the bricks out of the window onto the grass below, but then i remembered i have standards

i did think of the heat rising but shirley if thats the case then top floor flats need no heating, im only on the first floor and the flat below keeps our house pretty toasty, only in winter do we need to turn the heating on

the bricks seem to lose some of their capacity to store heat unfortunately so new bricks everytime :(

Electric heating elements are as close to 100% efficient as you can get, so in terms of actual efficiency they are not noticeably different.
Storage heaters are cheaper to run though.
the elements may be working but the bricks may not be storing the heat for as long as they used to when new

Had one on a third floor where there was a perfectly good lift, but the building manager would not let me use it.
(sheltered OAP block of flats)

..... then top floor flats need no heating, im only on the first floor and the flat below keeps our house pretty toasty:(
If its a tall block with flat roofing ?
May have nailed it , top floor worst heat loss ,
if no old neighbour underneath , means heating on longer more consistently , as floors underneath share the wear heating each other up !

Reply to Why are all storage heater replacements on the top floor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net