Discuss Why are my leds flickering? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lardos86

DIY
Reaction score
I bought new led fixtures to install (6) on a circuit with nothing else on it but a few more leds. I’ve got them on a Lutron dimmer switch. They flicker pretty regularly. I’ve tried swapping all the bulbs out, and also changed the dimmer switch. It doesn’t matter what brightness I have them at, they still flicker. Does any one have ANY idea of what step I should take next?

is the dimmer trailing edge? if it's leading edge, could cause problems. and what form of drivers do you have for the LEDs?

I’m assuming it’s training edge? It’s a newer dimmer. This may be a stupid question, but is there a minimum wattage spec for each individual dimmer that can cause this? I would say I’m only using about 50 watts max for the whole circuit.
[automerge]1571054296[/automerge]
Trailing

dimmers generally have a min, and max, wattage stamped on them. if you dimmer is , say, min 60 watts, then 50 watts load is not enough.

think it might be best now. to consult a local electrician. several US members on here, dunno if any are in your locale.

The LED lamps flicker because the current through them 'flickers' on and off when they are supplied by a bi-directional current as is derived from an ac powered dimmer and LEDs have no persistence or after-glow. If the LED lamps were powered by a constant current direct current they would not be turning on and off but the brightness might swell up or fade downwards - good quality constant current drivers have regulators to stop this.

There is a myriad of reasons why the LED driver current in your situation is flickering. But it is late so I will not go into them much except to say that there are often 'stability' issues when a particular dimmer (even though trailing edge) because of its technology may be unstable when connected with a particular LED (and its technology) or a number of LEDs on the same circuit. As an example only - inside the dimmer is a thyristor or triac which require a minimum 'holding current' to remain conducting which LED lamps, because of their relatively low power consumption, do not draw - so as the sine wave unfolds over time the thy/tri turns off before 'it should do' - no current - no light - flicker.

A common cure is to add a pure resistance load in parallel with the LED(s) which alters the voltage/current waveforms in way which causes stability. In the example I gave it would be to exceed the minimum holding current to ensure the thy/tri did not turn off early.

In the UK one can buy these load resistors which are wired in parallel with an LED or string of LEDs. How many load resistors you require is trial and error.

No doubt the US produces something similar. As a pure resistor there would be no harm in buying a UK one and wiring it in circuit, since our mains voltage is higher than yours for lighting anyway. Note well the cautions about the safe placement of these devices so that the heat they generate can be dissipated. The TLC description says this component by Danler needs an earth/ground connection but the Danler installation instructions make no reference to this so I reckon this is an error by TLC.

Resistive Load Device 10w - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DNRESLOAD.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=DNRESLOAD&product_partition_id=297072075353&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuZDtBRDvARIsAPXFx3B91X8Qps78tGp1CYXN2Fgzi9ra2OThaWsYLf3BwyiacDW8bk8SjPYaAglHEALw_wcB

Last edited:
So basically if I had something off that same switch that had constant current, it probably wouldn’t flicker?
[automerge]1571091731[/automerge]
Thanks a lot for the help!

Reply to Why are my leds flickering? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock