Discuss Why are the RCD trip times for I and 5I 300ms and 40ms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is there any particular reason why the trip times for RCDs at I and 5I are the values they are (300ms and 40ms).
Is there some particular medical reason why??
I'm just curious, no particular reason but may weave that into the conversation next time I'm in the pub!!

Is there any particular reason why the trip times for RCDs at I and 5I are the values they are (300ms and 40ms).
Is there some particular medical reason why??
I'm just curious, no particular reason but may weave that into the conversation next time I'm in the pub!!
1 and51???

I think of it as energy managment to restrict damage to what ever is not being a good enough insultor .
( No designing them - so no hard facts !)

For the safety purpose, the fatal current to human body is about 50mA although any current above 10mA can still cause some harmful effects. At 5 times rated current of 30mA (150mA) if human or livestock are exposed beyond 40ms is fatal.
At times of 30mA the body can withstand for upto 300ms but not more than that.
I believe there are better explanation out there but the main point is for safety purpose.

I think it has been covered on previous posts but the 40ms is less than the frequency of a heartbeat so the rhythm cannot or may not be interrupted into arrhythmia (not good heart beat!) That may be dis rhythmia
Impresses the heck out of customers when you come out with that safety gem and the reason that they are putting their 'hard earned' into your mitt for a CU change!

Thanks guys...
I think the values are selected to reduce the current flow (as westward10 and others have suggested) rather than having anything to do with the actually heart beat/frequency.
I'd be interested to hear a medical explanation though....

but who cares. we are just like specks of dust in the bigger picture of the universe.

In terms of thermal damage
(assuming we are mostly resistive and not capacitive- Microwaves love warming water)
30mA ..at 240V for 300ms aprox 2.1W
150mA ......................40ms aprox 1.44W ... so unlikely to give bad/deep burns
..on even small contact area.

Had pondered 30mA at 1/3 sec .. do some let go before RCD trips ?

I think that Gakure is pretty close to the mark, (on average!!) a human can take 30mA for ~500ms or 150mA for 40ms through the body without muscle contraction so the disconnection times are probably set to those levels in the product standard. Obviously some livestock can take less than this and 30mA protection should cover them as well.
Generally on a direct line earth fault the current will be rising very fast up to the PEFC and so disconnection should be fast enough that the higher current will have less chance of causing irreversible effects. I am not sure of the rate of rise but as current on an ac circuit will peak every 10ms it must be in a similar timescale so 40ms sounds quite slow really.
You must have seen this graph of the effects of current in the human body:

Why are the RCD trip times for I and 5I 300ms and 40ms Shock physiological time current - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Why are the RCD trip times for I and 5I 300ms and 40ms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock