Discuss Why are the two poles of the Hager SPD rated differently in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

spud1

-
Arms
Reaction score
So I was installing a new split load Hager DB (with the integral SPD) and noticed that the SPD cartridges connected across the neutral and line poles of the SPD were rated differently. Is there a reason for these different ratings?

Spud

So I was installing a new split load Hager DB (with the integral SPD) and noticed that the SPD cartridges connected across the neutral and line poles of the SPD were rated differently. Is there a reason for these different ratings?

Spud
Any chance of a piccy of the SPD rating plate, when you say different ratings, ratings as in what, volts amps etc?

Are the SPD’s fused or at least the line internally,or direct from the isolator where fault protection is then through the dno fuse?
The DNO fuse is the only upstream OCPD, nothing within the board. I think the current ratings of the cartridges and base must take this into account and I guess the board has been tested and the 6mm tails are deemed as suitable for current carrying capacity for the nano seconds that the SPD is in closed circuit. These are all assumptions you understand!!

The neutral being connected to earth, is more likely to suffer from surges caused by lightning strikes.
Been thinking on this one. Presumably you mean its more likely to suffer than the line in a PME installation where the multiple earth's at the poles are more susceptible to indirect strikes? But at the SPD in the consumer unit of the TNCS installation the neutral and earth are at the same potential so how does the SPD dump voltage from the neutral to the earth if they're are essentially the same conductor at the same potential ?

Reply to Why are the two poles of the Hager SPD rated differently in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net