Discuss Why did my voltage tester just explode? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jeansie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but it seemed like a good place to find out why my voltage tester (screwdriver type) basically just exploded when I tested it on a mains voltage supply (back-box of a fused spur switch). I was trying to check whether the fused spur is part of the main loop (it looks like it is - it has 2 twin and earth cables feeding into one of the "input" set of the live, neutral and earth terminals, and one twin and earth feeding from the output to a junction box which isn't feeding anything)
Hopefully you can see from the attachment what it did to the voltage tester

None of the power supply has failed for any of the sockets in the house

If anyone has any ideas why this happened please let me know.

Thanks

Attachments

• Why did my voltage tester just explode? Photo on 2012-12-16 at 01.54 - EletriciansForums.net
    Photo on 2012-12-16 at 01.54.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 298
it probably happened because you went short circuit with `it`....
and they are an `it` n all.......
how dare you come in here and start waving such a nasty piece of work in front of us....lol..
glad you did actually as this is clear evidence of just how grotesque these artefacts to incompetance really are....
throw em, break em, smash em ......wherever you find em.....

So... I touched it on something I shoudn't have whilst it was still in contact with the live terminal? I've been using it to test the means voltage this way for weeks and this hasn't happened before. What did I do wrong this time?

Shorted, lucky you never got eye injury, throw it in the bin/recycling and wouldn't buy another one.......you need some proper test equipment, and a volt stick.....would you like a volt stick for your toolbelt? I can post you one in the mail for free , I have a few spare....

On some accessories the earth bar is right in front of the live terminal....so an uninsulated tip of a screwdriver can short out the live and earth.....it didnt 'explode'...you caused a dead short between L and E. If you look at the tip of your screwdriver you can see the two contact points.Potentially several hundred amps would have flowed through such a short instantaneously.
Get yourself an approved set of voltage probes with insulated tips.

If the fuse/mcb/RCD or whatever didnt operate I'd be checking the correct type and rating for the circuit is installed at the CU.

Cheers for all your replies.

Electric Will: See attached picture

Grantr: Are the volt sticks the non-contact ones which either glow/buzz if they are near a live feed

wirepuller: Why did my voltage tester just explode? DSC_0122 - EletriciansForums.netI think the entire mains is on the same circuit and nothing has stopped working, so does this mean the fuse must still be fine? The house has one of the old style plug in fuse boxes - what rating should the mains (sockets) fuse be?

these things use your body to complete a circuit, jeansie. you're putting your faith and wellbeing in the resistor that is fitted in the screwdriver. bin it and get a volt stick.

no offence you dont know what your talking about , ive been there now looking back on my old posts, but can see your learning or egarness to learn somewhere in above posts... get yourself a proper voltage tester..£30 if you plan to work as electrician i just gave one away too or you could of had it.

we all have neons and are very careful and know when to use them. which some/most people will say never as they arnt 100% safe

If you had the tip on the live a lot of new socket plates have the earth very close and I think as others have said you shorted it out I would get a 2 pole tester or a non contact volt stick at least a bit safer.

some volt sticks are rated from 110v to 230v so effectively they saying might not pick up 90v.

I'd never trust a volt stick, however if you do use one get 2, and stick them both near the cable, you may find one won't light at all, very unreliable, my post above was just for fun, please buy a proper tester.

I am rather worried that you say "Tested it" this sounds remarkably like a drunking ebay purchase which you have been eager to play with when it arrives a week later from China

I have loads of them.. The only thing I think these are good for is the terminals on junction box's

Voltage tester.... The only thing between you and electric shock is a resistor...

mines a ck one and cost 3.50... but all chat about these being bad for health and they seem to be everywhere for sale even the pound shop with connectors and pvc tape all in one bag

it probably happened because you went short circuit with `it`....
and they are an `it` n all.......
how dare you come in here and start waving such a nasty piece of work in front of us....lol..
glad you did actually as this is clear evidence of just how grotesque these artefacts to incompetance really are....
throw em, break em, smash em ......wherever you find em.....

I'm impressed with that ... I really am !!! :)

So... I touched it on something I shoudn't have whilst it was still in contact with the live terminal? I've been using it to test the means voltage this way for weeks and this hasn't happened before. What did I do wrong this time?

What you did wrong this time was exactly what you did wrong last time - you used a neon screwdriver - the difference is last time you got away with it & this time you didn't !!

Neon screwdrivers should not be used for anything more technical than stirring tea or poking holes in plasterboard !!

Get yourself a proper tool for the job and learn how to use it. ;)

mines a ck one and cost 3.50... but all chat about these being bad for health and they seem to be everywhere for sale even the pound shop with connectors and pvc tape all in one bag

How much do they sell for in there as a pack?

I always get those things free, what a load of crap, I use mine as a knocking driver about all it's good for, they don't even meet the spec for testing equipment as they have a large exposed tip. Stop buying crap from the pound shop and get yourself some decent tools

What you did wrong this time was exactly what you did wrong last time - you used a neon screwdriver - the difference is last time you got away with it & this time you didn't !!

Neon screwdrivers should not be used for anything more technical than stirring tea
or poking holes in plasterboard !!

Get yourself a proper tool for the job and learn how to use it. ;)

i hope you didn't pick mine up by mistake geordie. i use it for scratching my arse!

Reply to Why did my voltage tester just explode? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock