Discuss Why didn't I do this earlier!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mandinga1975

Hello all

Just like to say 'why didn't I do this earlier' - get into the electrician's trade that is ...

As some of you may know I am an 'older' student after spending many years sat behind a desk.

I have been doing home study for my C&G 2330 Level 2 and although I have nearly completed all the theory for this certificate (which I have really enjoyed) - I was yet to do any practical work.

Well that has changed this week and after 2 days I have been able to complete both a radial and ring circuit (albiet basic ones). I was apprehensive when I was driving to the training centre but it's amazing how useful good study is - and I have really enjoyed doing it!

I have even been able to help other students which has given me an even bigger confidence boost especially as I wondered whether I was cut out for it when my head was mashed by study.

Anyway thought I'd share this, I know there is along way to go yet but if these first two practical days are anything to go by I can't wait.

Mandinga

Wait until you are crawling around in someones loft, under their floor, covered from head to foot in wall chasing dust, having to move their greasy cooker etc.
let the fun begin

wait untill you get ya firs bolt, cant avoid live installs at some point ya gonna get one lol!!

Thanks guys Im a late joiner as well after reading your posts Im jumping out the window!!!!!!!!!!

Ground floor flat nothing happened:)

Chris

Thanks for the 'advice' guys!!!

Nearly finished all the course now ... got my last 2 exams at the end of June and that's Level 3 boxed off.

17th Edition exam in July and I am STILL looking for some paid / unpaid work in the Manchester area ...

Goto be better than being stuck behind a desk!

Well done, proves an old dog CAN learn new tricks. Its a very diverse trade for sure and a very interesting one where you will always be learning throughout your career.
Watch out for shared neutrals though they will get you every time :eek::D;)

Good move,

I am 50 this year and have re-qualified after 30 years doing non-electrical stuff, and you are right, much better than being stuck behind a desk.
:)

OK I'm predudiced! And I know I will raise the hackles of a few in here. I still believe the way in, is through a five year apprenticeship and not by short circuiting the system. I think that all the (Be a spark in 6 weeks (mostly academic) courses) and the like bring the whole system into disrepute. An apprenticeship gives you experience of the pitfalls and the dirty jobs and you don't finish your time about what a cushy number you have landed. Bed of roses it may be, but only because roses have thorns.
Office workers should be kept in offices and given a pile of paper to play with. They shouldn't be allowed to do anything that affects the world outside. Strangulation legislation and unworkable rules come from offices, not from the world of real people.

Yep, did an apprenticeship, Steelworks electrician, house bashing at weekends, then lots of electronics.

No 5 day wonder here.

I could wire houses to 7671 before I did this course, now I can do it with a bit of paper (and self certifying)

On a parallel note;-

A plumber friend of mine asked me to help his handyman through 'His Electrics' so he can self certify boiler wiring.
bloody terrifying, cant read a diagram, can't understand Ohm's law even when all the values are written down, and could not wire a double socket to a good standard after 6 attempts over the period of one hour...

He has just passed his exams to do his own minor works associated with plumbing!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

:eek:

Have to say I agree with you there mandinga1975, I am currently in a engineering job, after completing an engineering apprenticeship however I want to become a spark, am I right in saying that boatnik1 wants me to go complete another 5 year apprenticeship to be qualified as an electrician??

Have to say I agree with you there mandinga1975, I am currently in a engineering job, after completing an engineering apprenticeship however I want to become a spark, am I right in saying that boatnik1 wants me to go complete another 5 year apprenticeship to be qualified as an electrician??

The apprenticeship isnt just about passing exams. Enybody can learn the layout and how to find things in 7671 or how to put in circuits on a college cubicle. The real beauty of an apprentice ship is you get to learn how to adapt your knowlage and think latteraly when fault finding, Or knowing what,where and when things are possible. Its the difference between a "spark" and a tradesman. After 4/5 year appenticeship you can justify your actions and give a logical reason for them not the old "cos thats what i was taught. I for one feel its the duty of a tradesmen to pass down there knowlege to Apprentices as there is an aufull lot then isnt written in books or can be taught in a classroom. I dont care if i stand on peoples toes because of that and i personnaly will not work with someone getting the same wages as me after a 6 week course.

mandinga1975 Guess your as entitled to your views as I am.
Yep. time served as distinct to served time (double meaning)
Study on day release, one day a week during early apprenticeship for study and exams.
At that time there was less legislation and some was surely required, but it has come to the point where paper has started to be more use than practice. This is where we have the situation were Kitchen fitters/plumbers/gasfitters and god knows who else can play at being sparks because they've got a piece of paper.

andy55
If it is accepted that it takes five years to complete an apprenticeship for a school leaver, I can think of no good reason why a later start shouldn't serve an equal apprenticeship with perhaps a slight reduction for associated skills which might already be known, ie possibly trunking/tray or pipework. Equality and all that stuff.
If less than five years is acceptable then perhaps we need to consider that five years is too long for everybody and that apprentices are exploited cheap labour. (I have some sympathy with this.)

Reply to Why didn't I do this earlier!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock