Discuss Why do we do it the way we do in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What is very different though is the use of a 63A B-curve MCB as input isolator.

Certainly I think isolation should always be all-pole (though for TPN that is not so common and ideally then you want a mate first / break last on N) and I was surprised that ROI did not do so in the past.

The use of the MCB to me is kind of mixed, I can see it is a good idea to limit each CU's total current without pushing the DNO fuse in to that job (I presume ROI still has the equivalent of a fuse as ultimate limiter?) but it also seems a bad idea on selectivity as many high current faults will take out both the faulty circuit and the whole damned supply!

63A B-curve instant trip is 189-315A, though looking at the Hager tables it would be selective with a 20A B-curve for socket radial to around 700A. That is still less than often seen for PSSC on sockets here (my experience mostly the RFC, maybe easier at ends of 20A radial though?).

What we have is an MCB at the supply cabinet

Double pole main isolation at the main board
then

Its mostly similar to UK on the boards , heading toward all RCBOs

remindsme of the air fungus pilot sends out a mayday. controller asks him his height and location.....

" Oi'm 5 ft 10in. and sitting at the front. of this machine"

Just getting round to having a good look at that

DP Isolator and ssd's part of the changes to rules

Bathroom and general lighting now shared on rcbos, single pole(note the sign lol, no ir testing at load terminals, dunno about that likely a backward step imo )

All type A 30ma protection , think Hagers been that way for a while ?

Presume you're fitting control for 2 instantaneous showers?

Presume you're fitting control for 2 instantaneous showers?
No. It's just one shower. But from now oni, m going with a Co tractor and running a 10mm straight to shower. I had hoped to have the DB installed today but could, nt start until late afternoon. Anyway have a, peeka at the attached pic

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_194903.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 29
No. It's just one shower. But from now oni, m going with a Co tractor and running a 10mm straight to shower. I had hoped to have the DB installed today but could, nt start until late afternoon. Anyway have a, peeka at the attached pic

Ah yes ok but there is a problem with that method and I've seen it in use occasionally

I presume you're running a control pair to a switch to control the supply to the shower

The problem is that unless you break the 10sq supply using an Isolator you're not actually providing local isolation

I would stick with the isolator, a crabtree ceiling mount Isolator works well

I presume you're running a control pair to a switch to control the supply to the shower
Yes. There will be an "on/off" control switch outside the door.
The problem is that unless you break the 10sq supply using an Isolator you're not actually providing local isolation
I, ve not heard that particular take on it myself. I do know that this method of installation is becoming increasingly more common. I also think that most 40/50 amp isolators are not adequate for 10mm.

Reply to Why do we do it the way we do in the UK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net