Discuss Why does a "granny" charger for EV (<10A) not need an RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

..theabove video prooves that the granny chargers contain no ">6mA DC leakage" detection or protection.
So it seems surprising that EV chargers have to have it.

..theabove video prooves that the granny chargers contain no ">6mA DC leakage" detection or protection.
So it seems surprising that EV chargers have to have it.
No, it is probably legacy that these rubbish granny chargers do not.

Rcd and dc leakage are two seperate functions, they may be within the one device, in which case it is no longer an rcd it is a combined device.

You have to provide suitable protection on all equipment to disconnect in the case of a fault, ADS is not always sufficient, in which case RCD or equivalent protection is required. If you cannot rely on a standard RCD then you either need a special RCD or additional protection to disconnect.

It isn't a difficult concept.

From Jan 2018 a Mode 2 cable ('granny cable') manufactured to BS EN62572 had to have >6mA DC fault protection.

btw... it's not a 'granny charger' it just supplies 230AC to the on-board charger.
Thanks,from 7:40 onwards, the efix experts are saying that "granny charge points" dont have ability to detect the >6mA DC. This video is from 2021....

Thanks,from 7:40 onwards, the efix experts are saying that "granny charge points" dont have ability to detect the >6mA DC. This video is from 2021....

I have an old landrover from 1980, and that doesn't have the latest emissions limit introduced in 2018.

Why is it that the landrover group doesn't have to meet the emissions limits like other car manufacturers???

Thanks, but it seems different.....car emissions is bad, but electric shock (so they say), is instant death. ...or so they say...(incidentally, having taken many full 240VAC mains across the chest, often with my pectoral muscles vibrating at 50Hz...i dont believe leccy is as bad as they say, but thats just me.)
The "powers" say that leccy is deadly....instantly so....so it seems odd that old granny charge points arent banned.
I have no idea how we can check if granny charge points do need >6mA detection, because most like me cant afford the standards.

Thanks, but it seems different.....emissions is bad, but electric shock (so they say), is instant death. ...or so they say...having taken many full 240VAC mains across the chest, often with my pectoral muscles vibrating at 50Hz...i dont believe leccy is as bad as they say, but thats just me.
The "powers" say that leccy is deadly....instantly so.

Plenty of people might disagree if they weren't already dead from electrocution.

Thanks, but it seems different.....car emissions is bad, but electric shock (so they say), is instant death. ...or so they say...(incidentally, having taken many full 240VAC mains across the chest, often with my pectoral muscles vibrating at 50Hz...i dont believe leccy is as bad as they say, but thats just me.)
The "powers" say that leccy is deadly....instantly so....so it seems odd that old granny charge points arent banned.
I have no idea how we can check if granny charge points do need >6mA detection, because most like me cant afford the standards.

Dangerous attitude. Electricity can, and does, kill.

What about "granny chargers" on TN-C-S supplies, This could possibly pose a large shock risk. (iv pulled the pin out of the grenade)

But as reg 722.411.4.1 says any outlet which is likely to be used to charge a car cannot use a PME earth without other precautions

And as mentioned previously BS EN62572 means >6mA DC fault protection has to be included in the granny charger

So if using quality items on a decent electrical installation, then there should be no risks

But you will always be able to buy a cheap crap granny charger straight from china, and plug it into a non RCD socket circuit in a house in which the fixed wiring could do with TLC and has not been inspected since it was installed 50 years ago

I mean you can order the so called "suicide showers" to the UK from china, kind of says it all

Reply to Why does a "granny" charger for EV (<10A) not need an RCD? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock