Discuss Why does the inverter beep? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a Samlex 600 Watt PSW AC inverter. The inverter connects to the battery source by way of the positive and negative clamps from the back of the inverter. I have isolated it away from all connections. It is connected to the 12 volt battery only. It beeps.

Presently, the battery voltage charge is reading 12.2 volts, but even when it is reading 13 volts the inverter beeps still. I have swapped it out with a new inverter, the beeping persists. The green indicator light at best flickers faintly and at worse it's out completely.

I tested the inverter by connecting two load sources to the AC plugs on the inverter including a lamp and a hair blower. There is not the faintest sign of power to these devices. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Gil T

Try another battery . 12.2 does not sound freshly charged.
..Terminal voltage may be dropping out of limits when it starts drawing a current !
Thanks for your reply.
I can try another battery, but I get the same results even when the voltage is at 13.2.
Do you think the condition of "Teminal rvoltage . . . dropping out of limits" holds true even with the higher voltage?

If the volt meter you have is independent of the inverter,
adding a 2A is Load , ie 21w Indicator bulb , will give you ,
some under load conditions to compare batteries.
With nothing else running.
( If you try an ordinary car battery - don't forget -they were never designed for deep discharge - Just start and recharge )

If the batteries are badly sulphated then they may have very high internal resistance. They might read 12+ volts off-load but the voltage collapses when the inverter starts to take current. This causes the inverter to beep, shut down, stop drawing current, restart and the cycle repeats.

As per @static zap test the battery under load from something else like a 12V bulb.

If the batteries are badly sulphated then they may have very high internal resistance. They might read 12+ volts off-load but the voltage collapses when the inverter starts to take current. This causes the inverter to beep, shut down, stop drawing current, restart and the cycle repeats.

As per @static zap test the battery under load from something else like a 12V bulb.
Lucien, thanks for that great explanation between a 12+ volts charge reading and the reality which is caused by the sulphated condition of the battery. I think that may be a very strong likelihood cause of the problem. The batteries I use are for deep discharge although none of the batteries I have used have dropped below 12 volts.

Well, I made the investment on a new battery.
The volt meter indicates it has a charge of 12.9 volts.
The inverter still beeps. The green light doesn't even flicker.
I welcome and appreciate your thoughts, Lucien.

Thanks for your reply, Seanisok.\
The inverter is connected directly to the battery via the inverter's own clamps.
No worries. Batteries I work with float about 2.27 volts per cell. 13.62V for a battery. I have a PSW inverter, all the voltages are ok but for some reason and only recently it has a constant red light, I think its the old battery, it was constantly going flat in the car. I have herd mine beep and beep when I had drawn to much current from it. its 600w also.

No worries. Batteries I work with float about 2.27 volts per cell. 13.62V for a battery. I have a PSW inverter, all the voltages are ok but for some reason and only recently it has a constant red light, I think its the old battery, it was constantly going flat in the car. I have herd mine beep and beep when I had drawn to much current from it. its 600w also.

Reply to Why does the inverter beep? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net