Discuss Why doesn't meter reading increase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, Nooby here - enough experience to know to respect electrical stuff :)

Family member has recently moved into a flat. He submitted the meter readings last week, then a few days later the energy company asked for them again.
Concerned about that, he compared pictures taken when he moved in a few weeks ago and now.
There are two meters - the one on the right, the reading has not changed in several weeks.

Two possibilities occur - first is that the meter is faulty. Second that it should be recording off-peak usage, and is not doing so.

I'm attaching a photo. Has anyone any words of wisdom about this? Anyone recognise the type of meters, if that matters?

Thanks.
20211030-b.jpg

I welcome having two meters I would say looking at the pic the right one is peak
and the other one is off peak looking at the readings. They may ask them twice
Just in case they are Trying it on to see if a fidling the meter they say.

Either there is no load connected for the meter to read or the timer switching that load on has failed in the off position.

What sort of heating has the flat got?
Is there a timeswitch or other mysterious looking box, near those meters or near the Consumer units if they are elsewhere?

The meters are basic old type meters, originally made as Elster J11B2A, but presumably bought out and rebadged by ABB.

Last edited:
Thanks buzzlightyear for your feedback, appreciated.

Also thanks snowhead. You raise some questions. I do have some other pictures from when he moved in, but they're all either too blurry or too dark to make out. That being said, I don't see anything that I would recognise as a time switch.

He does have a couple of new heaters that were installed immediately before he moved in. One is a Elnur Gabarron Digital Smart Storage Heater Ecombi SSH , although I'm not certain of the exact model number. I know that because I saw the Installation Instructions manual lying around.

It's a huge cupboard in the hallway with all the gubbins. I don't remember any time switches.
I think I'll need to take a run over there in the next couple of days.
Would off peak require time switches?
Or would any off peak heaters be connected directly to one of the meters?

Off peak heaters like that will have 2 supplies and the off peak supply will be controlled by some sort of time switch. Much newer meters have the time control built in but not these. Look for a black box marked radioteleswitch. (or one with a clock dial in it) I'm going to guess the corner of the timer is just visible in the top left of your photo.

Off peak heaters like that will have 2 supplies and the off peak supply will be controlled by some sort of time switch. Much newer meters have the time control built in but not these. Look for a black box marked radioteleswitch. (or one with a clock dial in it) I'm going to guess the corner of the timer is just visible in the top left of your photo.
Ah now, seemingly there is another box above and to the left.
I'm going to drive over tomorrow and have a look myself.
Thanks freddo

Reply to Why doesn't meter reading increase in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net