Discuss Why Have All My Bathroom Lights Stopped Working? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sarafailsbetter

Two halogen downlighters and two architectural wall lights. Also the shaver socket. All worked perfectly yesterday, but now none of them. I've checked all the bulbs elsewhere and they are fine; the rcd has not tripped. I have changed the wall double switch to no effect. The same circuit is fine in the adjoining rooms. I cannot work out what can have happened. Any ideas?

If the bathroom has an extractor fan, there might be a fused connection unit (possibly near the fan isolator) in which the bathroom feed is fused down to 3A to protect the fan (some models require this, others don't). To simplify switching, the lighting usually runs through the fuse too and a lamp failure might have blown the fuse, which would be the same type as a plug fuse. Other than that, I would recommend getting a local electrician who can trace the circuit safely using the appropriate test equipment.

Thank you for prompt reply. There is an extractor fan but it's not been in use for many years. I will have a look at it though.

Is the bathroom fed via a FCU (spur unit) could be the fuse has gone in the FCU.

Thanks. I think this is the problem. I have found the fused switch and found the fuse was blown. I replaced it but it's gone again straightaway. I imagine there's a fault elsewhere (one of the light fittings maybe?) and this is causing the fuse to blow?

seems to be a short circuit either on the lights, in the wiring, or the fan. think you''l need to bite the bullet and call in an electrician. should not be an expensive job to fix.

If you post your location maybe we have a member close by that would be willing to come and sort it for you. As already said this should not be an expensive fix.

Thnak you. I'm in N5, Highbury, London. I'm also trying to source replacement ARC75PRP architectural tubes to replace the two, now, that have broken. 24 inches both. Any ideas who might have them in stock?

Hi, all my bathroom lights suddenly stopped working today. Before this happened, my bathroom extractor fan has stopped working for almost 6 months. I did not switch off the isolator (I am not sure if this means the fan is still somehow running?), and recently I tend the leave the bathroom lights on. Would the broken extractor fan have caused the lights to stop working? Thank you.

Hi, all my bathroom lights suddenly stopped working today. Before this happened, my bathroom extractor fan has stopped working for almost 6 months. I did not switch off the isolator (I am not sure if this means the fan is still somehow running?), and recently I tend the leave the bathroom lights on. Would the broken extractor fan have caused the lights to stop working? Thank you.
Hi
Sorry to hear this.
Thanks for joining our forum.
How long would you leave the lights on for?

Reply to Why Have All My Bathroom Lights Stopped Working? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock