Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss why in old houses did they..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Fit pendants about a foot from the window I have heard theories over the years be good to get an opinion from someone on here that may have wired one in the 1930' s lol
J

Attachments

1shortcircuit

I've also wondered this as I have seen it in quite a few properties :)

Glad you asked the question:thumbsup

O

oldtimer

2 things one was to replicate light coming from the window the other was not to cast a shadow as a lot of lights did not have shades more common in bathrooms ie nearer to the window so as not to cast a shadow

Remembering back some 30+ years my college tutor explained that lights were set near to windows in bedrooms to prevent occupier being silhouetted in window when light was turned on - but I 'm open to other theories

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
yep. a combination of simulating window light and for the ladies to get dressed/undressed without being between the light and the curtains.

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was along the lines that the old builders have told me it seemed o be a very early 20 C thing
J

jon small

-
Mentor
Arms
DIY
i was told when doing my apprenticeship they were put closer to the window for privacy so that women getting dressed (or doing other things perhaps) wouldn't cast a shadow onto the curtains sparing thus their blushes

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
lasted into the sixties. not thaat long ago. along with spider wiring in the attic. loverrly JBs with 8/10 cables bodged in

snowhead

-
Mentor
No electrical but following the same privacy rule as above,

Another one you don't always see nowadays is doors to rooms were always hung so they hid the view into the room when the door was partly open.

snowhead

-
Mentor
And another one, radiators were always put under windows to mask the draught from single glazing and unsealed casements,

PEG

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Nope,no-ones got it.It was because apprentices didnt have torches or led's and had to be near the window to see those microscopic brass slotted screws.Those years on time-team were not wasted......:conehead:

snowhead

-
Mentor
Another one ish,

Pendant switch above the bed, flex hanging down with a switch on.

I fitted one in my first house, bought in 1972.

Non of your modern string and plastic dongle rubbish.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Nope,no-ones got it.It was because apprentices didnt have torches or led's and had to be near the window to see those microscopic brass slotted screws.Those years on time-team were not wasted......:conehead:
slotted screws and Apprentices were never a problem. just give 'em a hammer. the slots are for removal of the screws.

Jimmy Boy

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to have a long pendant drop over the bed but it burnt my wife's bottom so it had to go lol
J

snowhead

-
Mentor
But they did have candles stuck to their forehead with hot wax.

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed

Another one you don't always see nowadays is doors to rooms were always hung so they hid the view into the room when the door was partly open.
Another reason could be the flames being pushed away from you when the room is burning,rather than sucking them into your nostrils when the door is hung opposite :sweatdrop: :ack2::ack2::ack2:

G

Guest55

your all wrong - pendants in front of window so as to make hand animal shadow shapes on the back wall.
:-D

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
well, judging by your avatar, it's not surprising they stopped doing that.

S

sparks1973

and another thing with older (victorian) houses n all....is the way bedroom doors always opened outwards into the room....so if a lady was in the buff.....you wouldn`t see nowt...mind you , the ivy leaf would be enough anyway.....

kingeri

-
Arms
I always thought it was because in yesteryear folks used to have clothes dryers and vegetable hangers and stuff in the middle of the room so the light was always offset. Might be a load of tripe though.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
that is one nice pooch. can he get channel 5 on those ears?

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought it was because in yesteryear folks used to have clothes dryers and vegetable hangers and stuff in the middle of the room so the light was always offset. Might be a load of tripe though.
it certainly is.

snowhead

-
Mentor
No they definitely didn't hang Tripe up in the middle of the room

G

Guest55

She can pick up the cartoon channel if she sits still , useful for tuning into roadrunner :-D

Des 56

-
Arms
Esteemed

Yes,in old times it was a pain battling your way past the onions and grandpas Long Johns just to get to bed.then find the slugs had the same idea.
Some quaint ideas of old times there K
:sleep1::smile:

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
we were posh. the clothes driers and veg. racks were in the kitchen not the bedrooms. tin bath in the scullery, hung on a nail on the back door all week. saturday night, kettles on the fire/aga. kids in first, then mother, then father. but that was just in winter time. april through september was a hosepipe in the back yard.

Now they are hung the other way to make the rooms look bigger when you sell the house.

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
we were posh. the clothes driers and veg. racks were in the kitchen not the bedrooms. tin bath in the scullery, hung on a nail on the back door all week. saturday night, kettles on the fire/aga. kids in first, then mother, then father. but that was just in winter time. april through september was a hosepipe in the back yard.
Hosepipe? We should have been so lucky...

Cue Monty Python...

A

alarm man

wring the clothes in the mangle and dry it in front of the aga,christ i remember me granny doing that..:rolleyes2:

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Up until 1980 my nan had a twin tub and a mangle. Many happy days getting my fingers trapped in that.

Reply to why in old houses did they..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom