Discuss Why isn't tip of wire under outlet screw (photo attached)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@Megawatt can hopefully advice on the US side of things whether this is considered good or normal practise...

I agree that it looks less than optimal, but as long as the wire is firmly held and not loose there should be no impact on safety or performance though.

It's quite common here in the UK to see less than ideal practices in new build homes, as they are often done to a fixed price and speed is more of a concern than perfection.

In UK, we do get terminals like this, but not in domestic switches... As mentioned, it’s down to speed and laziness not correcting.

you can cut the perfect length, bend it perfectly, hook it round the loosened screw and it looks great.... but the act of tightening the screw forces the bend to open a little.

if that was two separate terminals, I’d worry that they’d touch.... but I see these are linked on close inspection.

In UK, we do get terminals like this, but not in domestic switches... As mentioned, it’s down to speed and laziness not correcting.

you can cut the perfect length, bend it perfectly, hook it round the loosened screw and it looks great.... but the act of tightening the screw forces the bend to open a little.

if that was two separate terminals, I’d worry that they’d touch.... but I see these are linked on close inspection.
That is a good picture showing the tab linking the terminals which I have mentioned in previous threads. As it stands both receptacles are on the same circuit, snap it off then they can be connected separately.
But as pointed out by @stanwelbach it is cracked and needs replacing.

In America I believe they call this a shepherds hook connection, It looks pretty normal based on others I have seen connected this way. Sometimes the electrician will pinch the hook right over once its connected but not always.

It is improper to hook it up that way. The receptacle has back stabs and side stabs. There is no reason to wrap the wire around the screw. As stated above the receptacle needs replacing
MW, from what I have seen on the internet most sparks seem to prefer the hook method and really don't like using the back stab method...?

Side wiring under the screw is the traditional method for NEMA accessories. The binding-head screws have a special profile that helps to captivate the wire. We aren't really familiar with them over here in the UK, we don't usually have exposed screw heads.

Back stabs are typically push-in arrangements that are infamous for making bad contact. They are supposed to work like push-in Wagos but they are typically poorly engineered and on a 20A circuit can be a liability.

But the best option where fitted is what MW refers to as the side stab which we would recognise as a rising clamp terminal, where each wire has its own entry and two are clamped under a plate that the screw clamps against the busbar in the receptacle.

I recall this tends to be an option on better quality receptacles but not on the cheap contractor grade, is that right MW?

Re the OP's wiring, I agree that is lazy work and the end should be snug under the screw.

Side wiring under the screw is the traditional method for NEMA accessories. The binding-head screws have a special profile that helps to captivate the wire. We aren't really familiar with them over here in the UK, we don't usually have exposed screw heads.

Back stabs are typically push-in arrangements that are infamous for making bad contact. They are supposed to work like push-in Wagos but they are typically poorly engineered and on a 20A circuit can be a liability.

But the best option where fitted is what MW refers to as the side stab which we would recognise as a rising clamp terminal, where each wire has its own entry and two are clamped under a plate that the screw clamps against the busbar in the receptacle.

I recall this tends to be an option on better quality receptacles but not on the cheap contractor grade, is that right MW?

Re the OP's wiring, I agree that is lazy work and the end should be snug under the screw.
Like always @Lucien you are correct again. Thanks for the help

Reply to Why isn't tip of wire under outlet screw (photo attached)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net