Discuss Why only Domestic mentioned in the EST Document? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Worcester

-
Mentor
Reaction score
If you haven't read it, you can still get it here: Government to Slash Feed-in Tariff for Solar PV | Worcester Renewables

2 possible reasons

1) They want to kill the free systems that are taking far too much money out of the system as quick as possible, (we had a call for mounting systems for 15,0000 social housing installations last Wednesday) and it may only be domestic that is referred to when it goes to parliament at 3:30pm on Monday.

2) They know that commercial systems take longer, that although there are a large number of 10-50kWp projects in the pipeline, it is not too many to signifcantly affect the amount of money committed.

So what could we see:

Monday is an 'emergency' measure, purely for <4kWp.

The Strategic review will be Published January with 40 days consultation, then 40 days in parliament = 1st April (give or take) Which will see a large drop in 4-10kWp and 10 - 50kWp FIT tied in with energy saving measures.

In their words:

We will consult on the comprehensive review later this year. The review will be completed by around the end of 2011, with tariffs remaining unchanged until April 2012 (unless the review indicates the need for greater urgency).

One final reason, the EST is only focussed on Domestic Scale Matters.

Strikes me that they have panic'd themselves into a solution which will have far wider consequences than what they are trying to prevent. I don't get the nonsense of the money running out, as it would be fairly easy to levey a tax on normal electricity to pay for the renewables. I have written to my MP, and got as many jobs in order as I can, but I don't feel very optimistic about the future for small-scale PV if the government go ahead with this.

Strikes me that they have panic'd themselves into a solution which will have far wider consequences than what they are trying to prevent. I don't get the nonsense of the money running out, as it would be fairly easy to levey a tax on normal electricity to pay for the renewables. I have written to my MP, and got as many jobs in order as I can, but I don't feel very optimistic about the future for small-scale PV if the government go ahead with this.

Though I have a great deal of sympathy for the PV industry I think advocating more levies on the rest of the energy bill payers to subsidize those few that can afford this is not exactly the way to go .

I would expect that a tariff of 21p for ≤4kWp systems will mean a similar drop for 4-10 and 10-50 systems.

That's fine - but all we ask is we can complete the projects already started and invested in. A 25kw system is a huge investment for the installer/supplier until the customer pays. As said elsewhere if we cannot complete and commission as we are waiting for some other contractor to complete works then the customer is not going to be accepting 50% of the income that was predicted. There are worse scenarios which exist. Any new projects will be designed and quoted based on new income levels. I just hope Worcester is right and they are getting rid of the >4kw first and let the big projects get completed. Of course in April anyone without a Class C ERC will not be able to get even 21p but will be paying for the few that do qualify.

Reply to Why only Domestic mentioned in the EST Document? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net