Discuss Why pay NIC extra for using their PIR Certs? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dentie2302

I am looking at joining NICEIC, however have read through some of these threads that it is approx £400 for a year but just over £700 if you want to use their Periodic Certs.
Can anybody explain this to me? As far as I am aware and relativly fresh from C&G 2391, a Periodic is not notifiable just a document showing the condition of an existing installation.
I am sure there is a good reason for them doing it however had a quick look through their site and all I can see is that they will advertise to customers that I can carry out a PIR???????
Anyone else thought this or is my inexperiance making me look stupid and there is a genuine reason.

What I do not understand is why you need assesing for PIR, It is very subjective anyway, but surely if you can carry out inspection and testing for a notifiyable installation you should be Ok carrying out a non notifiyable Periodic?

If you want to show any scheme logo etc when issuing certs relating to inspections, they say you have to be assessed. Again money making!

Some customers request a PIR to be done because, insurance companies for example, may have told them to keep continuity of a buildings insurance policy, the installation needs verifiying and has to be carried out by a person who is scheme registered to do PIRs.

For someone requesting a PIR for their own satisfaction or to see if they really need that 3 grand rewire, then all they'll be looking for is someone who is clued up to carry it out. If this is the type that you always do, the paying extra dosh for the right to show you can do under the scheme approval is worth a bean

As above I think the reason is that a lot of letting agents etc ask for a Nic certificate, which I feel is wrong anyway and has been discussed in previous topics, so they charge you the extra so you can carry out these works.

What I do not understand is why you need assesing for PIR, It is very subjective anyway, but surely if you can carry out inspection and testing for a notifiyable installation you should be Ok carrying out a non notifiyable Periodic?

The scheme providers that charge for periodic inspection are in effect saying 'you can carry out periodic inspections if you like but using our name as a 'guarantee' will cost you money.

My sole task these days is periodic inspection of public buildings and believe me, when I see the state of previous inspection reports, I can fully understand the reluctance of the scheme providers to just let Tom, Dick or Harry carry out inspections in their name without appropriate assessment!

Last edited:

Reply to Why pay NIC extra for using their PIR Certs? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net